Looking for information on flag dedication/presentation ceremonies. One of the troops Eagles has a flag to present to our towns Drug Strike Force to be flown on the flag pole that was his project and everyone is drawing a blank on ways to present the flag.

Thanks in advance

yis

It many ways there is not much difference between a ceremony for flag retirement and a flag dedication, but just remember that you do not burn the flag at the end. A typical ceremony involves a gathering of people, a brief statement about why we are gathered here, some words about the flag, and then the color guard raises the flag followed by the pledge or national anthem.

Words about the flag could be gathered from various patriotic readings, but with some time and creativity it would be more personalized if thoughts were gathered from members of the strike force and scouts in regard to what the flag means to them in your town and as a national symbol.

Okay, so I should have also said to leave the scissors at home, but also as a flag dedication the ceremony it should also be a fairly enthusiastic event. A morning ceremony would be best if possible so that the flag could remain up for the entire day, and a bugler playing Reveille during the raising would be a nice touch.

Why would you want to play "get-out-of-bed-for-roll-call" bugle call for a flag raising? If one were to be more appropriate, maybe playing "To the Color" just prior to raising it might work.

I have no musical skills and so always thought that the tunes played at dawn and at flags were the same, but of course the squeaks and squawks produced by the buglers probably did not help. The difference was quite apparent when I listened to an mp3 version.

While the scouts have a bugler in their POR and a bugling merit badge, the notes played by the bugler have to be understood by the listener. The use of the bugle is to communicate a message over a long distance. If one does not understand the message, it surely is useless. Each of the bugle calls expects a certain response, if the scouts in your troop don't know the bugle "calls" (the word is very appropriate) then at least teach them so they know what is expected of them. In my unit we have only functional buglers. If they aren't functional, they don't play.

Stosh

Stosh,

You sound just like my wife who will not let me sing in public or whistle in the house. If you want to spin this off on another thread you could let me whine about how lucky you are to have your choice of talented buglers while I feel fortunate about the rare occasions that I do get to hear a somewhat decent bugler play reveille in the morning rather than the typical method that involves a variety of tunes being banged out with a piece of firewood on a large metal bucket.

Jeff