What do yeh do with the young go-getter?

I think I like the way Beavah is thinking about this, unless I have misread something. I think he's clearly NOT adding to the requirements but merely advocating offering more opportunities to a 'go-getter' who otherwise might miss that call of the loon in his race to jump the next hurdle.

I have only seen one of these guys and after he got Life, he nearly stopped in his tracks, only to make Eagle after another 3 years - go figure.

My initial reaction to someone like this is to step to the side and allow them to pass. But I see them more often at a much later age...as pre-Med students or similar. (This is where I think PMS was first identified, Pre Med Syndrome) I can't categorize them because they are all unique individuals. However, some of them (maybe a lot) seem to view their actions as merely completing a check-off of requirements without stopping to ponder, to any depth, the meaning or consequences of the things they are learning and doing.

If Beavah is advocating some means of allowing them to 'see' at greater depth or breadth then I'm with him. If a boy has the gift of such intensity and clarity of thought, then it would be a shame not to fill his vision with wonderful puzzles and opportunities.

Let's face it. The advancement requirements are linear, about as linear as can be. If the go-getter finds that so easy, why not show him a little of the OTHER way of thinking? I think he's earned the privilege. A little non-linear fun (and a little more depth and breadth) could really spice things up and it could be that the go-getter would find it an even more intriguing challenge.

In the end I think it could even help him become a better leader.

jablake,

What is this young man planning for his Eagle Project? After Eagle, what's next?

Have you heard of the Scouting's Hornaday Conservation Awards? Unfortunately in our area, it seems to be a well kept secret that few people know little about. It's such a pity that the program is not promoted more.

Is he one of those Scouts that thrives and loves being in the outdoors?

If yes, steer him toward the Hornaday Awards program. Get him hooked up with a Hornaday advisor. Depending if he is interested and at what level of Hornaday he wants to achieve, this will keep him busy with one to four intense conservation projects (intensity level of four Eagle projects) over the next one and a half to three years. One of the projects can be used as his Eagle Project, another at BSA properties, such as camp. If he is creative, and as much of a go getter and leader as you say, he could probably orchestrate and run a couple if not all the projects simultaneously.

Get him involved with OA. If the Lodge is good, there will be plenty of opportunities and leadership there for him. When old enough, encourage him to apply for the OA High Adventure Work details. Hopefully after attending a couple of these at different High Adv. Post, this will wet his whistle and he'll want to go back for the regular Scouting programs. Encourage Jamboree participation when he meets the age requirements.

Get him involved as a CIT, then on camp staff, the on Jambo staff.

Think about International camp staff when he's the right age.

I'm envious. I wish We had a couple of Scouts like him in our Troop.

Please do me a couple of favor.

Listen to him.

Try his ideas, no matter how far fetched the ideas may seem to the adult leadership.

Give him some latitude to see what he might be able to do with the Troop.

KEEP HIM EXCITED!!

Boy, am I envious,

Eric