Yesterday at long last we had OJ's Eagle Scout Court of Honor.

My love for my son is endless. I have always been proud of him, but yesterday this pride reached an all time high.

He planned every part of what happened yesterday.

My role was heating the food and paying the bills.

The people he invited were people who were special to him and who have played a big part in him being the man that he is today.

Some of the teachers he'd had in grade school,teachers from high school, Scouting friends and the adults who have helped him grow over the years.

My head was so enlarged I thought I'd never get through a door way as people came and said what an honor it has been to watch him grow.

Ken Hager, the NE-Region OA Chief, who has been with OJ all through the OA was MC.

The two of them took their Ordeal together, Brotherhood together, both got Vigil Honor at the same time. OJ was AVA when Ken was Lodge Chief and was Section Secretary when Ken was Section Chief. They have worked on camp staff together and attended two Jamborees together. Other Scouts who OJ has worked with did the important parts of the ceremony.

Sadly due to the chemotherapy Her Who Must Be Obeyed has lost some of the feeling in her fingers. I so wanted her to pin the Eagle on him, but I was a very happy second choice.

There were about 160 people in the Fire-hall.

OJ picked the menu: Fried Chicken (from wal-mart) Canned potatoes, canned corn,the mother of one of the ASM's made rigatoni and cake. (Sam's Club has a BSA approved cake where you can put a picture in the middle, with the Scout Law around the picture.)

Needless to say he made out like a bandit!

His boss from the pizza shop (an Eagle Scout) gave him tickets for tomorrows Penguin play off game) A whole bunch of Eagle stuff and $850 in cash.)

I was asked to say a few words and I went out of my way to tell the most embarrassing stories I knew about him.

I of course thanked everyone who has gone out of their way to help my son. I finished by saying how the best thing we can give our kids are roots and wings. All the people there have played a part in giving him strong roots and now he "Really' is an Eagle he has his wings.

Yesterday is a day I will keep with me till I'm no longer.

I'm so very proud of my kid and so very grateful that I live in an area where other people go above and beyond to care and love kids that one day just arrive, either in a class room or Scout meeting place. They of course don't know the new arrival. But they take him under their wing, they take time to care and nurture these new arrivals. They work through the bad times, the "Growing pains" the sassyness(is that a word?)

Yes yesterday was a wonderful day, thanks to people just like the people who post and read what's happening in this forum.

You do make a difference. Thank you.

My role now is to play it forward.

I think in time OJ will do his best to help other Scouts. He will be part of my legacy.

I was close to tears last week when I read about the young Lad from Beavers Troop. I thought of him yesterday and offered a little prayer.

I also had a word with the "Big Guy" about Army Staff Sgt. Jesse Williams, was killed in Iraq a week ago Saturday.On his second tour of duty in Iraq. He was 25.

I never met Jesse, he was from Santa Rosa,but he was a remarkable young man,reportedly already is in line for a Bronze Star after he single handedly pulled two fellow soldiers from a burning vehicle after it struck a roadside bomb three weeks ago.

From what I have read, he came into Scout late, disliked school but went on to become an Eagle Scout.

I'm saddened by the fact that the parents of the Scout from Beaver's Troop will never be able to pin that Eagle on their son's chest.

I'm sure that Jesse's parents once sat at his ESCOH and were every bit as proud as I am.

Jesse Williams is survived by his wife, Sonya, his 11-month-old daughter Amaya and his mother, Janice Leonnie and his father.

He is also survived by the 2 men he pulled out of the fire. I don't know them, I don't even know their names. Still they are here today thanks to a 25 year old Eagle Scout who really took the Scout Oath and Law to it's highest level.

I'm so very proud that my kid has joined the ranks of people like Jesse.

I thank God for the gift of my son and I will remember Jesse and the Lad from Beaver's Troop in my chats with the "Big Guy"

Eamonn.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

E- Congrats to you and OJ. I'm sure you're every bit as proud as you sound. I know you have probably wondered a few times if this day would ever happen.

Also, thanks for the words about those scouts that we've lost.