Scout Libraries and Resources

One must remember that Scouting today is more than just what is written in the current edition of a handbook. At one time, Morse Code was a Second Class requirement and Signaling used to be a Merit Badge. Well, not anymore, but my boys are all fascinated by it and exploring it's possibilities (mostly for school study hall because it avoids the paper evidence of note passing). We're working on American Sign Language as well, more practical and current to today's world. Isn't it kind of strange that BSA provides for an ASL interpreter's strip and very little resource to provide for the boy's training? Not everything is in the handbook/literature.

One of the more interesting things I have discovered in the older books is in the novels. Before the days of electronic media, boys learned by reading and BSA provided many of their skill and moral lessons in the writings commissioned by National BSA. Patrol methold, leadership styles, problem boys, etc. are all spelled out. Now some of these lessons are no longer acceptable in today's BSA. These boys were more independent than we allow boys today. Safety? Litigation? whatever, the liberties and independence we do not teach are two important factors of growing up that are no longer in vogue. Kinda like Signaling.

As a National Certified EMT-A, I can assure you the teaching of the BSA on First Aid taught by the BSA is not always "by the book" either. There's a big to-do right now on the merits of changing how CPR is being done. To stick with just what you were taught does not allow any room for problem solving, thinking on one's feet, adjusting the program to the present situation or any other kinds of situations the boys will find themselves in sometime in their adult lives.

Besides leadership, there's independent thinking, problem solving, and many other dynamics that "scout" had to learn to effectively function in the military setting. While our boys are not in that situation in our day and age (????) they could very well be some day in their lives.

A number of my scouts (including 3 of our last 5 Eagles) joined the military and are serving our country as we speak. They joined up right after high school? Another is home already, returned from the Gulf, disabled and decorated. His only regret was having to leave his pards behind.

The lessons taught and were once taught by BSA go far beyond the literature of today's BSA program. But B-P has instilled a legacy that goes way beyond what's in print today.

Stosh

jblake47 / stosh wrote:Isn't it kind of strange that BSA provides for an ASL interpreter's strip and very little resource to provide for the boy's training?I don't think it at all strange that BSA doesn't offer training in ASL. BSA also offers interpreter strips in French, German, and Spanish, among many others. But BSA offers no formal training in foreign languages.

I think the intent of the Interpreter Strip is to recognize a proficiency one already has (from whatever source), rather than as a recognition of acquiring a skill like a merit badge.

You make some interesting observations about Scouting being more than the sum total of the current literature -- I agree, but I would hope that if (or when) we add to what's written, that we are careful to follow the policy as written, rather than deviate from it.

YiS

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

I don't desire to deviate too far from Stosh's coments about Scouting Libraries and Resource and how they have changes. But to follow up on both Stosh's and fgoodwin's comments regarding the Interpreter Strip. I concur with fgoodwin's comments about it being a recognition of a skill that a Scout has achieved. It is not an advancement requirement, so there would not be any actual literature or BSA programs to teach languages or ASL.

But in addition to recognizing Scouts with the skill of being multi-lingual. The recognition is suppose to aid Troops, Leaders, fellow campers in translating between languages.

Some Troops apply for International Tour permits to camp abroad. Multi-lingual Scouts may assist in international camporees, international scout shows, a troop camping in French Canada or maybe at Northern Tier, or a troop participating in high adventure white water rapids in Mexico. A Venturing Crew from Washington state (as written about in Scouting Magazine) has climbed Kilamanjaro in Africa and hiked the mountains of Peru. And, just imagine the confusion at World Jamboree this Summer!! (It doesn't take much to confuse me)

Having a Scout, which has earned an Interpreter strip, is really a big deal. They have the opportunity to do a good deed, by helping their fellow Scouts communicate well.

Finally....There is a joke I enjoy that goes like this.....

What do you call someone that speaks many languages?

Multi-lingual

What do you call someone that speaks two languages?

Bi-lingual

What do you call someone that speaks only one language?

An American

hahahahahaha (snort)

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv