Term of office of the CC

What is the term of office for the Troop Committee Chair?

The CC serves at the discretion of the COR and Chartered Organization. Their registration must be renewed each year with the BSA, but the term is up to the CO and unit bylaws.

Is the term up to the Charter Organization?

The CC serves at their pleasure.

Can Assistant Scoutmasters be on the Troop Committee?

No, ASM's can't be dual registered as Committee members in terms of their BSA registration. In terms of how a unit committee operates, though, that's up to the CO. So if it's OK with the CO and CC, an ASM can attend, participate in discussions, even vote.

Da structure of unit committees varies a lot between units.

So why don't yeh tell us what's up?

As is often the case with questions like this, I suspect there is more to the story than just the questions you've asked here.

But here are some simple answers - all terms of office are essentially one-year terms, since they must be renewed at recharter time each year. The Charter Organization pretty much has complete control over the pack, and can normally keep a CC on, or let him/her go, any time they want. And no, ASMs can't be on the committee. But the committee doesn't normally vote on things...consensus works much better.

Your questions make it sound like you want the committee to try to oust the CC. That can be a complicated situation, but you really need the CO to make that decision.

Oak Tree

There are problems within the adult leadership in the Troop. As a WB ticket item I stated I would form a TC and have them trained. Since then things have gone out of control. I did not realize that it was up to the CO to recruit the CC. Then the Committee has all the SA's sitting on it with their wives and it has become a big mess. As a SM, I have lost my input in the TC meetings

because all the SA's seem to know how to run the Troop better than I and they can vote on issues and I can't. I am glad to find out that BSA policy is that you cannot be registered in two positions in one unit. I am working with our CO to straighten out this mess and not to tip everything upside down. I created my own monster.

I created my own monster.

Yah, sounds like :p

One of the hardest things for Committees to figure out is how to stay out of micromanagin'. The SM is in charge of program, individual committee members support the program in their positions of responsibility, under the direction of the SM. The committee as a whole also sets "big picture" goals and policies, as well as some feedback and oversight, which is where things often get muddled up.

Good luck with it, eh? Let us know if you're lookin' for additional ideas or suggestions.

Beavah

Being an MC and an ASM really shouldn't make a difference if you understand each position and agree execute the responsibility of the resective position. When an ASM tries to use the position of MC to "impose" some will upon a SM in terms of program, it tells me that they don't understand any of the three positions.

Let's just say for a moment that these SAs or ASMs decide to recharter as MCs but still attend meetings and campouts and do everything they did before. What has changed? What has improved?

Attending training, being trained, and performing within an area of responsibility are not always inter changeable concepts.

LongHaul

Attending training, being trained, and performing within an area of responsibility are not always inter changeable concepts.

Yah, Amen to that!

So how do we help save Foxy from his monster? This is pretty tough without knowin' the players. I've never really seen TC Challenge work when there were already problems and personalities in play. It's meant to be used before that point, eh? :)

Fox, as you get the CO to (hopefully gently) reconfigure the committee, add some "gravitas". Add some experienced outsiders who don't have boys currently in the program. Local alumni. The youth minister from the CO. A friendly old district Beavah. A businessman with some boardmanship experience.

I think troop committees need ballast. Some good sorts who keep things on an even keel as waves of different parents come through. A few respected types who can articulate "the mission" and get people on the same page, or gently sideline 'em until they can read the music.

And set some clear terms of office, so it's possible to make moves when you need to without hurtin' people's feelings.

Any other ideas for the Fox?

The problem is there is three husband/wife teams that seem that they want everthing to go their way. The husbands are registered SA's and the wives are TC. The SA's are also on the TC (my fault for starting a TC without knowing BSA guidelines) serving on two unit positions when the CC said they can vote on TC action and I can't. Am I just a puppet in the troop? I'm getting run over all the time. They will trust me with their scouts life on a campout(One SA has been at no campouts and the other SA once in a year)but yet they all want to run the troop.