BE PREPARED! but we're not really...

It seems that the boys don't show up with necessary materials for a Scout meeting (no pens, paper, Scout handbook,etc...) Be Prepared is just two words. Constant reminders given, but to no avail. Are we alone? How can this be resolved without tattooed hands?

Local - our boys also always forget their handbooks. Something that came back a bit a couple of them a few months ago. It seems two of our newer Scouts wanted to know what they had left to do to finish Tenderfoot. Since our troop is very small, I am aware of the where everyone is regarding advancement and knew both these boys needed only to finish their Fitness requirement. I remembered some time back when they went outside to do the first part of the requirement, so I figured it had certainly been more than 30 days.

Turns out, neither had their handbooks when they did the requirements the first time so nothing was written in their books. The Scout that had worked with them on the requirements can't find the paper on which he wrote down what they did. He also said that one of the Scouts didn't in fact do the running part - this of course led to the Scout in question saying he most certainly did do the running.

So, what to do? No evidence that the requirements were done. In fact, many things were not signed off in their books even though I knew they had done them.

It took several weeks, but the boys worked with a couple of the older Scouts and went through item by item in their handbooks as the younger Scouts demonstrated what they knew (I posted a thread about this a while back).

It's been my observation that most guys bring their handbooks when they are new Scouts as it is all very exciting. But after a while they stop bringing the book. If it is never really used, why bother? As leaders we can tell them to bring it all we want but if they don't see any evidence of its use, it's just one more thing to remember.

Our troop was in a terrible habit of entering things in TroopMaster without having it signed off in the book first. So, a boy could be ready for a SM conference for Tenderfoot and not have a thing signed in his book. Very sad scenario and one which we have since corrected. All of our boys know very clearly now that nothing gets recorded in TroopMaster until it is signed in their handbook. This has resulted in the boys at least remembering to bring their books on campouts so they can get signed off when they cook, build fires, etc.

Another thing that our SPL has started doing is during weekly meetings we always have some sort of instruction leading up to the month's activity. He ties it in to some part of the Scout handbook and asks one or two Scouts to read parts out loud. He says, "OK who brought their handbook? Who knows where it talks about making a first aid kit? Oh, good for you Johnny Scout, please tell everyone where to find that in their handbook."

About that fitness requirement - well it seems those two boys just had to do it again. To ease their pain a bit, the Scout that lost the record of when they did it the first time did it with them. He felt responsbile. I know, many of you out there will say that's not fair to the two young Scouts and I agree. Then again, the two boys in question have not forgotten their handbooks since.

And none of us old farts weren't the same way when WE were in the program?

I remember the OA chapter meeting I forgot my sash. Caught Hell from everyone. Paid a fine to the chapter fund... I was 15, that was 35 years ago... (is there a smiley for wince)?

My favorite line is "Bummer."

A boy cuts himself. I ask, "Where's your first aid kit?" Doesn't have it, Bummer!

A boy needs to take notes, has no paper and pencil. Bummer!

A boy forgets his mess kit on a campout. Bummer!

The boy learns one of two things. A) be better prepared next time or B) whine to someone else.

I drop learning exercises on the boys on a routine basis. Last camp out, a boy "broke" an ankle and needed a splint and transport back to camp. Needless to say the boys never ask me if they should bring certain items with them on an event/hike/outing anymore. Needless to say, they found sticks for splints, used neckerchiefs for bandanging and holding the splint, made a stretcher out of coats and walking staves. It was interesting that they didn't ask if they could take off their their uniforms before we left. Either they don't trust me or they are learning what be prepared is all about.

Unless one spends time teaching these boys to think ahead, and come parepared for any situation, they will never develop appropriate leadership skills.

The scoutmaster that brings along "extras" for the boys who forget things is doing their boys a major disservice.

My boys are taught the first time to do it correctly. After that, if they are not prepared, they go without or figure out an alternative. After a while they figure it out that doing it right and being prepared is the easiest in the long run.

"The scoutmaster that brings along "extras" for the boys who forget things is doing their boys a major disservice.

My boys are taught the first time to do it correctly. After that, if they are not prepared, they go without or figure out an alternative. After a while they figure it out that doing it right and being prepared is the easiest in the long run."

very very true

gwd and jblake, thanks for the ideas. John-in-KC, when I was a Scout, our troop held inspections each week. That inspection included neckerchiefs, writing instrument, paper, Handbook, and get this, two dimes to make a phone call! We usually taped the dimes inside our handbooks. Winning patrol was treated to a pizza party at a restaurant. Have some 13 and 14 year old TF who just wont finish requirements. I remind them each week, but I don't like to sound like a broken record. But I don't want to see a kid not advance just because he doesn't think of Scouting except 90 minutes a week!

"I remind them each week, but I don't like to sound like a broken record. But I don't want to see a kid not advance just because he doesn't think of Scouting except 90 minutes a week!"

It doesn't look good for you as a leader not to have boys advance. Bummer! Until the boy wants to advance and become a scout more than you want him to, he'll never be a scout!

If this boy cannot think of scouting except for 90 minutes a week, then he surely can't pass the "Show Scout Spirit" requirement where he is expected to live the scout oath and laws in his everyday life.

YOU cannot make him be a scout, only HE can! Once you learn that you will become a better scout leader. If you do this to the boy when he's a tenderfoot, don't be at all surprised when his parents do his Eagle project for him. It's what you taught him to expect out of scouting.

Stosh

Yesterday I taught a Communications MB session to a group of scouts at our district's annual MB day. While I have some issues with the whole idea of a MB day, I kind of figured that if they were going to do it (and some of our scouts were going to attend) then I might as well at least do what I could to provide a decent and worthwhile experience for the guys. In the past they've been known to have MBCs read the MB book to them for two hours and then count this as "earning" the MB. BORING!

In the course of the day I worked with about 40 scouts. Four or Five arrived with no book, no blue card, and/or no writing implement. "What's the Boy Scout Motto?" I asked? "Be Prepared!" they quickly answered. And that's all I said. Somehow they figured out how to get (at least) something to write with. Several found me later on in the day with blue cards in hand. Maybe next time they'll consider that ahead of time? Maybe I'm pipe dreaming too, who knows.

One snarly older guy informed me that he was only there because some adult signed him up (parent or SM, I'm not sure) and he didn't want to participate at all. I think he was shocked when I told him I wasn't going to even try to "make" him participate. He wasn't prepared to earn the badge and that was ok, but I said, I knew he'd understand that I wasn't prepared to sign his blue card either. The thought that it was HIS responsibility to decide to earn the badge or not seemed to surprise him. Go figure.

All we can do is help the scouts see the consequences of their actions. This is how they learn what "be prepared" means. Maybe it'll stick eventually.

As a compulsive planner and organizer, the thought of being unprepared gives me the heebyjeebies. However, I know that to prepare Nephew for his adult life, I have to let him fail (as painful for me as that may be). If he goes without something he will survive, and will be more likely to remember it next time.

I know he has learned more when he has had the responsibility of being prepared (or not). I used to (post cross-over, new Boy Scout days) help him pack for a camping trip...you all know what I mean - "Do you have XY&Z? Are you sure you don't want to take blah, blah, blah? What does your book say you need to bring?". Well, after a couple of trips where he didn't put a lot of effort in to being ready (why should he? I was going to do it for him) I told him "I'm not helping you this time. Take what you want/need, not my trip, not my problem". Well, he forgot to take extra rope and they needed it in camp that trip....Guess what? He's never forgotten rope again. Same thing with not being ready for a uniform inspection - he didn't want to change to his Scout Socks...and got docked for it. Now his socks are go on when he gets ready for his Den Chief gig, before his Troop meeting.

I don't believe we when make them be prepared unless we are willing to let them fail and suffer the consquences when they aren't. As long as it isn't a life/death thing (like have the proper sub zero bag for winter camping), they aren't going to be any the worse for wear...and they will learn the lesson far better on their own. They learn from their own mistakes, like we learned from ours.

YMMV

YiS

Michelle

i have a scout that i also tutor. Last year he was in 9th grade. Great kid but absent minded. I would constantly ask him if he had a notebook at a meeting or greenbar to which the reply was often "I forgot".

So i went to a 99 cent store and got him a cheap notebook and gave it to him. Under one condition. I would randomly ask to see it at a meeting or greenbar, and if he could not produce it he would pay me 25 cents. He agreed.

After a handful of quarters in my pocket it started to sink in. I havent had to ask. Now he has that notebook at everything.