Putting together a functioning Committee

Now that I have almost finished my Wood Badge Ticket, I just need to sit down with the Boatswain and work with him to put the finishing touches (and rewrite) the Ships plan to attend the Regatta on Memorial Day, I need to start working on some new goals.

The first one will be to get the committee functioning as they should.

I have a parent who has volunteered to be Treasurer and outside of getting a CC that will fulfill the role (first on my list) what other Committee positions would you concentrate on finding?

What priority would you give to finding each position?

I know we have some positions unique to the Ship, such as a person to handle boat donations, but outside of those what position would you consider critical to unit committee.

Im working with our CO to see if we can get some of its members to step up but need to put together what the Ship needs.

I would want a membership chair - a person who handles all paperwork dealing with registration and rechartering. I don't know a lot about ships but in a more generic context I would also want an advancement chair (paperwork again!). Since advancement plays a somewhat different role in crews and perhaps in ships, maybe this is less crucial for you, I'm not sure.

I'd look at it this way - what activities are you doing most frequently that are not core to your job, and that could be delegated?

In addition to the ones that Lisabob mentions, there are two that I'd look for: an equipment coordinator, and an activities coordinator.

Exactly which jobs you pick probably isn't the biggest part of the effort. Just getting some people on board to fill any role that's useful to you is 90% of the battle. Keep plugging away at it.

Oak Tree

Not quite sure about the ship part but I have 7 adults on committe outside of Den leaders.

Awards

Outings including big trips

Camping

Treasurer

Fund rasier

Recruitment

C.C takes care of P.R. and oversee's all of the above. P.S. C.C. is my wife so it makes things very easy to control.

There may be things that are more spicific to your needs not really sure. Tell the parents that they need to do this and also add that it will make things easier for you to direct your attention where it is needed more.

P.S. C.C. is my wife so it makes things very easy to control.

I'm trying to decide if you are a very lucky man, naive, or just a fool. No matter which, I wish you and your wife great happiness.

SWScouter

The committee chair is very important because they are the primary person providing structure and organization to the committee. If the SM is a strong personality, the CC is important to provide some counterbalance in the unit. I have observed SMs who think they are the whole show. A good CC can moderate this and turn that SM energy into something more constructive.

Under the CC, I think advancement, treasury, and membership are very important positions.

A very lucky man I would like to think. She has been beside me all the way. And sometimes kept it together for both of us. DO NOT GET ME WRONG there are times when we wish she was not in that position. And at times it has caused some problems but you need to step back and look at the whole picture.

My whole household is scouting you can not walk anywhere in my house and not know we are in scouting. People think that we are crazy when they find out that our son is not even it the pack anymore. But I have gotten attacted to working with the little kids. IT'S GREAT seeing the smiles and when one comes up and says that was the best pack night ever thats what makes it worth while and thats what makes us do it. (Remember its about the Kids) not saying that you don't know that. Thats what I always tell myself.