Old Scoutmaster's Handbook

I feel lucky to own a 5th edtion SM handbook 11th printing, I really like the smaller 7x4.5 size for the portability however I wonder how long it will last. Be nice to find a hardbound one or a reprint.

Yes, its 37 years out of date but contains info not found in the later books. Maybe somebody needs to edit a Scouter's Field Guide with all the old good info and only minor corrections to bring it up to date(LNT,ect), plus it should work for SM ASM or any other Scouter activly involved in the troop. The only book I have seen for a TC is 30 years old and slim pickins.

BTW, I showed my handbook to several older Scouts and they liked it too, may loan it out to them so they might better understand the core of the program.

I preferred the older Scoutmaster Handbooks also. Easy to throw into the briefcase without taking up all the room the newer "notebook" versions do. Easier to read also. I could hold the older handbooks in one hand and relax in my chair. The notebook versions are clumsier.

I have several older scoutmaster handbooks in my collection, including a hardcover two volume set (just like new) from I think the 1930's or 40's. It is one of the highlights of my collection.

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html

I collect Scout books, generally first editions; my goal is to have a small collection. There appears to have always been debates on size, portability and being able to add-to. I imagine that making decisions by committee keeps everyone frustrated. One day (soon), Scout books will be on the Internet, on disc and access will be in any form that one desires. I suppose there will still be detractors. fb

prairie,

Not a problem. Just take along a Brunton SolarRoll to recharge those batteries. ;)

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=256

Flexible Solar Panels

Amorphous solar cells for effective low-light performance

Reverse flow protection

Tefzel fluoropolymer construction for extreme durability

Waterproof

UV transparent

Link multiple like-units together for even more output

Rolls and stores in convenient storage tube

Includes vehicle outlet cable & multi-linking cable

One-year warranty

SolarRoll 14

MSRP: $449

12"x57" open

17 oz

Max output: 14 watts (15.4 Volts / 900 mA)

Perfect for running satellite phones and charging laptops