My son is 10 years old, and turns 11 on February 19th.

He is very close to earning his Arrow of Light, but may not complete it until after his 11th birthday.

My questions is simply if he can remain a Webelos scout until he finishes the 5th grade, or if he has to leave on his 11th birthday.

He really wants to go into Boy Scouts with his Arrow of Light.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg,

The official requirement as printed on the Boy Scout Application is as follows:

"Parent Information. Your son can be a Scout if he is 11 years old (or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, or has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old), but has not reached age 18."

Webelos has no requirement that the Webelos has to earn his Arrow of Light by Jan or February of his 5th grade year; as a matter of fact, there are some Web Dens that I know cross over in April. Once he finished fifth grade (and at least 10 years old) or he is 11 years old, then he can join a troop without an arrow of light. If the rest of his den crosses over and he is 11 then he too can join the troop without the arrow of light.

A simple answer to your question is "yes" he can remain a Webelos until he finishes the 5th grade, but I hope that his whole den remains with him or he'll be one lonely Webelos. ;)

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

We are assuming, probably with 99% certainty, this Cub does not have special needs.

We need to remind all that if a Cub has special needs, his family and unit leaders need to get with their Council. Special Needs age and advancement procedures have much different rules.

This is even more true when we're talking emotional/mental special needs over physical special needs.