Good Program and Bad Program

Yah, Jeff H, so you never drive at night either? ;)

What we have here is a Beavah's failure to communicate. Troop 2 as far as I know never deliberately violated G2SS, except where it was obviously stupid, eh? (like no nighttime driving). My memory is that they ignored it, as in "never read it." I expect that describes 80-90% of the troops out there, eh? Only us internet gnomes with too much time on our hands can quote chapter and verse. :)

I expect in most ways, Troop 2 had a far more explicit and strict safety program than G2SS. It might not have been the same on all points, but theirs met a high standard of care - much higher than G2SS or a typical troop. Different is sometimes just different.

Da real point that worries me is the many Scouters who quote and rely on G2SS (and other BSA materials), who don't understand the principles. That got Troop 1 in trouble, eh? G2SS may say "all equipment must be suited to the craft, to the individual, and to the water conditions." But the average trained scouter doesn't know what that means on the Menominee River in spring. A guy who knows how to paddle that river with novices like as not is followin' the spirit of G2SS better without readin' it than the scouter who quotes the book at him.

That was my only point, eh? Sorry for bein' a poor communicator. Troop 2 had an excellent safety record.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All driving, except for short trips, should be done in daylight.

There is a big difference between SHOULD and MUST. MUST would mean that BSA black letter says you can ONLY travel during daylight hours. SHOULD recognizes that it is a "best practice" where practical. When the sun goes down at 5:00 PM in the winter, you'd have to wait until Saturday morning to leave for an outing. While BSA policy says you "should" travel during daylight hours, they recognize that you can not always do that and traveling after dark is permissible. Otherwise, the word would be must.

Even we dreaded book thumping, rule quoters know how to read a rule like a "reasonable" person. ;)

G2SS is a guide that covers areas of common interest in Scouting. It's not a comprehensive manual on everything we need to know to be safe in every condition we face. On those subjects where it does not go into detail, it serves as a reminder to leaders to consider the risks, get educated about it, and be prepared.

No one knows every chapter and verse of G2SS unless they have too much time on their hands. All one needs to do is know enough for the outing they are getting ready for.

The Local Tour Permit has a signature line next to the statement, "I have in my possesion a copy of Guide to Safe Scouting, No. 34416D, and have read it."

Knowing more than the G2SS is great. Not possessing or having read the G2SS is unacceptable.

• 1 month later...

Well since I'm a scout i always have favored a boy ran troop. If the boys run the troop, it shouldn't be such a bad program. The PLC should be working together to improve the troop meetings, campouts, and events.

Having a Adult ran Troop kinda, makes it a dry program. to much formality and it will be pretty boring.

As i understand a good game before and/or after will keep the boys coming.

My troop is known for Dodge Ball... Me being 15 years old, still enjoy some roughhousing of Dodge Ball. But Capture the Flag is a huge game all scouts WILL ENJOY! It is a great Team Building game, for Troop Spirit!

Kinda got off topic, but all of this Will make a GREAT program...

-David

SPL

Troop 34