The red pill … or the blue pill?

In planning his upcoming Eagle Court of Honor, my oldest son and I got to talking about rites of passage ceremonies that mark a change in ones status like baptism, bar mitzvah, marriage, etc. He correctly noted that these ceremonies were symbolic only; nothing really changed before or after other than how other people think of you. He then speculated about truly life changing events forks in the road of life, so to speak - and offered that his decision to join Scouting some 10 years ago was such an event in his own life.

He jokingly compared me to Orpheus, offering him as Neo, the red pill or the blue pill? and said he was glad he had chosen the "blue pill". I just smiled when he told me that Scouting had truly and forever shaped his character and his outlook on life.

trevorum

Great flic by the way,

Cypher: I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

As I remember, the blue pill allowed the person to return to their illusion and escape the harsh reality. I'm uncertain of the comparison you are trying to make. Or am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank Trevorum for starting this thread, I spoke at an Eagle Court of Honor on Sat, Dec 30th. It was for three scouts who were in the same tiger den together and all made Eagle about the same time so they planned a joint COH. I started with Roberts Frost's "The Road not Taken" then read the first two stanza's from the Loovin' Spoonful's "Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind" and then finished asking them what would they do, take the Red or the Blue Pill whenever they had a difficult choice, to beleive what was being told them or to find out for themselves. It went over some of the more elderly in the crowd, but the scouts told me they understood. I wouldnt have used the red/blue pill thing unless I had seen it here

Eamonn, you read that? He just called you 'elderly', tee hee.

OGE, you could have quoted Carroll:

In a Wonderland they lie,

Dreaming as the days go by,

Dreaming as the summers die;

Ever drifting down the stream--

Lingering in the golden gleam--

Life, what is it but a dream?

OR The Crew Cuts:

Oh, life could be a dream (sh-boom)

If I could take you up in paradise up above (sh-boom)

If you would tell me I'm the only one that you love

Life could be a dream, sweetheart

(Hello, hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again)

Oh, life could be a dream (sh-boom)

If only all my precious plans would come true (sh-boom)

If you would let me spend my whole life lovin' you

Life could be a dream, sweetheart

AND THAT, I think after all, was the true meaning of the blue pill...

or Orbison:

Its too bad that all these things, can only happen in my dreams

Only in dreams in beautiful dreams.

I was in Manhattan at the American Museum of Natural History most of the time, spent a little time in the crowds around Virgin Records and the Charmin toilets (strictly business, of course ;)), and a few assorted eateries. I love Manhattan. Sorry I couldn't get them to you in time, oh well.

"Eamonn, you read that? He just called you 'elderly', tee hee"

I think I can live with being called "Elderly"

Heck at times I feel positively down right OLD!!

Still packsaddle, if you had posted that you seen me in the Fossil Hall?

I might be worried.

Eamonn