It's not rocket science! How dumb!!

I really liked the Ipods that our Scouts took along this summer.

When the time came I bought one for OJ, for his birthday.

Black Friday, I stopped in at Wal-mart and while it wasn't an Ipod I bought myself a 5GB RCA whatever they call it. I think it can hold something like 15,000 songs.

I don't have 15,000 songs on my computer. In fact I don't have any.

So I thought I'd copy my CD's onto the computer.

I have a lot of stuff on my PC, so I thought I'd put them on my laptop.

Looking at the Windows updates I seen that there was a newer media-player.

I downloaded it.

I didn't like the look of it, but thought that in time I'd get used to it.

I tried it and didn't hear a sound.

Checked all the drivers everything seemed fine.

Un-installed the media-player and reinstalled it.

Still nothing, ran all the diagnostic tests. I watched bouncing black boxes, but still couldn't get a chirp out of the darn thing.

If I could have got my hands on Bill Gates I was ready to give him a piece of my mind.

I spent almost 3 hour playing with this darn thing and still no sound.

Then the light went on.

I remembered that I'd turned the volume down on the unit.

Boy did I feel silly.

Sad thing is that I gave up!

The player is still in it's box, there still isn't any music on the computer and I still don't like the look of new media player -Maybe I can change it? I think it can wait till I have a lot more time!!

Eamonn.

"like the VCR "

Sadly I had the VCR mastered!! But it gave way to the DVD -Recorder.

I spent a week on that one! I did manage to eventually get both video and audio!!

While I was out I did buy a new projector. Staples had one on sale.

The one I have now weighs about the same as a 1954 Rolls-Royce, comes in it's own hard case with wheels!! It takes up about half the room in the boot of the car.

As yet it's still in the box. - I'll wait till a holiday weekend to try and figure that one out!!

Eamonn

> really liked the Ipods that our Scouts took along this summer.

We don't allow music and game devices and the like on campouts. The only electronics allowed are watches, GPSs, FRS radios for certain events and cell phones that are turned off and used only for emergencies.

After an incident with a boom box many years ago, and the loss of a GameBoy in the river, the PLC decided to ban them. I'm one of the biggest gadget freaks around, but I agree- when I go camping I don't want the phone ringing or rap music playing.

We have one indoor campout each winter where they can bring anything they want.

Ed

(former rocket technician)

(This message has been edited by epalmer84)

Probably the only reason Apple still exists is their tendency to build products that are easy to use and seamlessly work with each other. I have an iPod and I use iTunes (either PC or Mac). It is incredibly intuitive and worry-free. I either purchase online or download my existing CDs to iTunes so I can put them on the iPod. Yes, it is more expensive than some of the options but then I was actually using all of it minutes after I opened the box. They always work great. iTunes can do it all and it's free. AND when an upgrade comes along, it installs itself and I don't lose a single song or file. I find myself loading all of my CDs onto it merely to backup and organize, it is so easy and intuitive. Couple the iPod with a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones and peace is at hand.

epalmer84

Re: "We don't allow music and game devices and the like on campouts."

To date our Ship has not made such a ruling.

We had a 750 mile each way drive!!

To be very honest, the Scouts plugged their Ipods into the car stereo system and I enjoyed it every bit as much as they did.

I did request that they didn't make calls in the car and wait till rest stops to make calls. Which they did.

I didn't tell them that they couldn't take their cell phones or Ipods with them when we took off for five days sea kayaking. For whatever reason they all opted not to bring them with them and left them at camp.

The topic of cell phones,music players and game devices has come up a lot in the forum over the years.

While it might be wrong of me? I see that we have two camps, one who seems to think that allowing this sort of stuff is just plain wrong and the other camp who just disagrees. I don't see the two ever coming together. There just doesn't seem to be any meeting of the minds.

Eamonn.