need opinions for a Klondike

I am doing a Klondike derby for my distict.

I have just finished what I hope will be a great event the problem is I have never even been to a Klondike so I was wondering if I sent my draft to you if you could look it over and let me know what you think

I will apprciate any oppion I get

Thank you

I can't but help think that the people you need to share your ideas with are the people who will be at the event.

Were I in your shoes, I think I'd wheel out the program at the next R/T and get some feedback from the district.

If by chance any SPL's happened to have been invited - So much the better.

Big thing with these events here in Southwestern PA. Is that you can bet your last buck, that no matter what the weather has been, the weekend of the derby it's going to be in the mid 60's!!

Make sure you have a plan "B".

Eamonn.

Klondike set-up skeleton Oct. 31st 2006

9:00 Sled parade and equipment check

Sleds will be judged on best use of theme

Also all equipment must be accounted for and secured to sled for a tip test

Point deductions for each missing item and for items that fall off during tip test (sleds

must be ready to roll right after parade.)

9:30 Stations begin Stations will run for 25 min with 5 min travel time between stations.

11:00 Adults may pick up there secret ingredient for Cast Iron chef Challenge

Station #1 River Bank

Snapper catch

Patrols must use a cane pole to catch mousetraps (fish) this is designed for webelos and as a congestion killer. Boy scouts will have to make a pole by lashing a pole together from the equipment on their sled.

Scored with stickers on the bottom of the fish further out the fish more points (webelos will use Cane poles)

Drowned victim

Patrols use teamwork and rope from there equipment to save a person who fell though the Ice. (webelos will use Adult Help to pull)

Scored on time and use of teamwork

Station # 2 Trail

Shelter building at night

Half of the patrol is blindfolded and use tarps and ropes from their equipment and poles provided to build a shelter big enough to hold the sled and the whole patrol while the other half guides them with voice commands. (Webelos will not be blind folded)

Station # 3 Turkey shoot

Using sling shots the patrols will shoot pie pan turkeys

Patrols with have 10 shots at 10 pie pans for each one they hit they get a point (each webelo will get a shot)

Station # 4 Home front

Tool usage

Patrols will demonstrate how to use a pocketknife, mull, ax, hatchet, and band saw

Must use a 2-man bow saw to saw off a piece of log.

Scored on time and use of teamwork (webelos will use tools appropriate for age)

1 Totenchit per patrol must be presented to work this station

Station # 5 Fire Building

Patrols must build a fire using only flint, steel, or friction patrols must use the fire to boil a cup of water.

Scored on time and use of teamwork. Firemn Chit will be strongly enforced.

Station #6 First aid

Patrols must demonstrate how to identify several Cold weather ailments including Hypothermia

And frostbite they will also need to put a splint and sling on one patrolman and safely transports them to a hospital tent. (Webelos will learn HOW to make a transport but do not need to carry a patrolman)

Station #7 Blindfold Bowline-Square knot patrols will be blindfolded and tie a bowline and square knot (Webelos will not be blind folded) Scored on correct knot time and teamwork

Station#8 Careless Camp Observation Game

Set up a tent and simple fireplace and scatter mistakes on site: a carelessly dropped ax; a glass jar next to the fireplace; poorly set tent pegs and badly tied guy lines; etc. Include, as well, some personal items like sleeping bags, patrol scarfs, shirts with identification on them, name tags, etc.

Give patrols five minutes to study the site. They are not to talk, but they can touch what they see as long as they leave an item exactly as they found it. Patrols then huddle for 15 min. to prepare a list of all the things they found wrong in the camp. Best list wins. As patrols hand in their lists, add to the contest by giving each a card of questions asking, for example, how many boys were camping? What troops or patrols do they belong to? Etc.

(Webelos will have a separate campsite to study)

q Scored by number of mistakes found also bonus points for extra questions

(During stations there will be a group of leaders that will stop and Quiz the patrols on scouting with points awarded for correct answers. A ribbon will then be put on the sled so patrols will only be stopped once.)

1:30 Station Shut down

Lunch

Provided by the Adult leader Cast Iron Chef competition

3:00 Sled Race

Each patrol will have 4 Dogs and a Musher they will go thru a 500 ft. course they need all of there equipment loaded on their sleds there will be one sec added to their time for each piece of equipment that is dropped during the race (webelos will have a shorter and easier course)

4:00 Cast Iron Chef

Each patrol will have a 30 min course on Dutch oven cooking then they will send one person to the Food Table to get the secret ingredient to make a dinner, which they will have 2 hours to prepare.

7:00 Judging

The dinners will then be judged on taste, originality, best use of ingredients, and cleanup. Then the pots will be set up to serve all the campers potluck style.

Points are as follows

Taste 10pts

Originality 10pts

Best use of ingredients 10pts

Clean up 10pts

The theme for the sled race is Venturing we are encouraging your units to do a little research on what Venturing is and what it has to offer. Decorate your sled using anything found in your research.

Looks like you have a great program for the patrols. I have been wanting to attend one of these for years, but our district doesn't do them yet. Just remember that the first year of doing one, things do go wrong. It's life and it's a warm up for the following years. Grin and just look around at the boy's faces. If they are smiling and laughing, it's all worth the time and effort that you put into it. Get feedback from the adults and the boys attending to make the next year even better. Have them write down ideas for other events. You might have a couple of old geezers whose brains you can pick for ideas too. Overall I think you are off to a great start. Happy Scouting!

Looks like some good stations for a Klondike. Schedule seems a bit ambitious to me. 25 minutes per station is cutting it close, especially if teams start to back up. What kind of distance will they be traveling on the total course? Not far if you are allowing 5 minutes between stations. Best wishes for success.

The stations are going to circle around the race track so they are very close (all with in a field witch is about 4 blocks big) and I am just doing the compition there will not be any class type things at the station due to the fact that all the scouts should know these things.there will be Webelos leaders at each station to instuct them but they will not be scored but will get partiapation cert. for each patrol

My first comment comes from the Appendix (Age Appropriate Guidelines) to the G2SS:

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/ageguides.pdf

Camporees are "visit only" for Webelos.

Klondike, to me, meets the definition of camporee: District event, competitive, for Boy Scouts!

Further, from reading your material, many of your stations require certifications (Totin' Chip, Fire'm Chip), that Cubs, as I understand it are ineligible to earn.

I would ask your DC and DE for guidance.

Good hunting!