Perhaps a sit down with the boy and his parents would help? I had a guy with similar situation. For the past year, he's stated he wanted to make Eagle. I told him that's great, but you have not yet served in a POR as a Life Scout. He twice was asked to serve in a POR, but made no attempts to fulfil the job requirements.

It was always something. Sports practice took longer than anticipated. Had a project to do for school. Just didn't feel like coming. Had a game/school/something on every weekend we had a campout scheduled. When he would finally show up to a meeting, I would explain to him that because he wasn't fulfilling the requirements of his POR, the job was given to another scout. The first time he didn't seem to care. The second time he got frustrated. Thought we'd lose him altogether at that point.

Finally, about six months ago he started showing up again. During that time, his mother contacted me. Said she really wanted him to make Eagle and what could she do to help. I set up a meeting with her and the scout. I first explained that there was nothing she could do to "get" him to Eagle. It had to be his decision, his choice. I explained the requirements he had remaining - his Eagle Service Project, a couple of merit bagdes and 6 months in a POR. The POR was the biggest topic of conversation, with Mom trying to explain to me how busy her son was. I showed examples of other guys in the troop with similar busy schedules who managed to work in Scouts too. I also said that I really didn't think it was all about a busy schedule, but rather the scout's disinterest in being a Scout. I said there was no shame in making it to Life Rank - most guys don't get that far. That one statement upset Mom, but the scout suddenly showed interest in the conversation. I guess it got through to him that we weren't just giving out Eagle Ranks in the Troop.

Yes, I have been raising the bar of expectations on these guys for the past two years. Didn't do it overnight and, as I mentioned before, it's been a slow process.

Good news about Life Scout. He is now serving as our Jr. ASM. Gotta say, he is making an effort. He is so good with the younger scouts and is probably our only sr. scout that can get their attention when they start to run wild. He even had one of the young guys call him sir a couple of campouts ago. Made his day!

Since you posted that you have three other Scouts coming to training and your Boatswain is not showing any effort to learn and do his job, maybe it's time to remove him from the position and elect someone who will. It's harsh, I know, but it would be unfair to the other guys to let him continue in his position without doing any real work.

Good luck, CNY.

gwd-scouter - I was beginning to think that there wasn't anyone else that though like this anymore.

In both the troops we were in this kid would have made Eagle the first time and been long gone.

I have met way too many Adult Leaders and parents who feel that because a Scout is busy with (sports, bands, school playtake your pick) that its a free ride for a Scouts POR and hand it to him for doing nothing.

A quick Quarterdeck training update:

5 Sea Scouts showed every other officer except our Boatswain (and our newest Sea Scout).

A few comments were made from them about the Boatswain not coming.

It was a good lead-in for a discussion about the reasonability of being a Ship leader.

I think it went pretty well as a heard a comment from one of our young ladies:

I thought it would be boring when you told us it would last 8 hours, but it was really fun and I think I might have learned something too.