First Aid Kits thread needs updating

First Aid Kits

I copied this from a 2002-2003 thread. It is overly long but has lots of information, some that may need updating. I am surpirsed we haven't hit this more than once.

---

This is what I carry in the canoe when trekking with scouts

1 cell phone

1 GPS unit

Maps of the area

4 Cyalumes

1 small flashlight

12 - 2x2

24 - 4x4

4 - 3 inch roller bandages

6 - 6 cravats

Adhesive bandages (band aids) various sizes

6 rolls of adhesive tape

Steri-strips, 12 each

35 cc irrigation syringe

4 rolls of 1 1/2 inch athletic tape

4 elastic bandages (3")

Molefoam, 2 sheets

Second Skin, 1 pack

Space Blanket

2 Sam Splints

1 CPR Face Shield

Stethoscope

BP Cuff

1 set of airways

EMT shears

4 hemostats

2 McGills

1 No Neck C collar (adult)

1 Regular C collar (adult)

Latex Gloves

Sawyer Extractor

Sub Normal thermometer (2)

Tweezers

Tick Spoon

Baby Powder

povidone-iodine

Betadine

Cortizone cream

KED Femur Traction Splint

Cold packs

Heat packs

Aloe Vera Gel

4 or 5 pairs of sun glasses (some scouts end up loosing theirs, and on the water sun glasses are a must have) le Voyageur

-----------

le Voyageur's list for canoe camping can also be applied to car camping where you are virtually unlimited in what you may wish to carry.

Backpacking is a different matter. It has been my observation that most people carry far more first aid gear than they will ever need. Field first aid should be oriented at keeping people alive, not setting broken bones or performing surgery. You need to consider what is most lethal, and what is most likely to happen. I remember one highly experienced first aid trainer observing that the most common serious injuries that she routinely encountered were burns. I would not have thought of that.

One thing that le Voyageur mentioned that is left off of most lists is a space blanket. This is a very compact lightweight piece of material that unfolds into a blanket that can be very helpful in cases of hypothermia or ordinary shock. eisely

----

For first aid gear - http://www.mooremedical.com

As a post note, don't carry first aid items that you are not trained to use, not qualified to use, or not certified to use... For fastwater/whitewater the four big concerns are hypothermia, brokenbones/head injuries, drowning, and difficult extractions with long transport times to an ER.

As stated in the above post, first aiders are not trained in setting bones, and WFR's and WEMT's won't even consider doing it. However, the one exception to that rule is when dealing with an angulated fracture with no distal pulse. The limb then must be moved only enough to restore the pulse before splinting. But know that this has a lot of risk, if your transport time is fairly short then let the paramedics or docs do the procedure. le Voyageur

---

WFR - Wilderness First Responder good for 3 years and expensive- 120 hours

WEMT - Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician

Red Cross First Responder is not the same as WFR

WFA or Wilderness First Aid is offered through Red Cross- 16 hours

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.americanheart.org/

To date I've always managed to PLAN around or away from any potential problem which could have resulted in my having to use this knowledge (knock on wood) but the worst can happen at anytime, especially with youngsters.

Please spend the time to investigate these offerings and take the class. They are always interesting and could make the difference on one of your trips. The BSA first aid merit badge is just a bare introduction to what is really needed.

For day hikes, the most important thing is to actually carry a first aid kit. For light hikes, the most common kind of first aid problem will be foot problems. Blisters (moleskin) possible sprained ankles (stretch bandages), sunburn (sunscreen), and a few band aids, of course the knowledge to apply them. A cell phone is also very nice and eliminates the use of runners to get help. Know who to call for each trip...i.e., the fastest way to connect to EMS. Knowledge is most important...take a Red Cross First Responder class. Second, plan ahead and play the "what-if" game to identify problems that might occur on your trip and tailor the behavior of your people so as to avoid problems. Also think of what your response to a crisis would be at various locations on your trip...what is the fastest way out...what can you handle, and when do you call for help. Be sure that your trip permit is in (for insurance) and that all participants are either part of your unit, or have signed a waiver...don't leave yourself open to lawsuit. Have a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for your trip.

Have a kit that is generalized enough for most small things, or tailored for a particular trip...and carry it around.

The second thing is to take Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder. The knowledge is what will stand you in better stead than a complete kit. johnmbowen- 2002

-------

One intermediate step is to set up a Saturday session and invite in some local EMT trainer types with outdoor interests, perhaps university staff, experienced military types, even simpatico professionals. You might be pleasantly surprised as to how willing and available some of these folks are...

Not all but enough! buffalo2

---

Toilet paper is essential, especially for diarrhea.

My belt pack for such events also has adhesive bandages, gauze, antiseptic wipes, benadryl stick (for bug bites), triple antibiotic ointment in little packages, a break-and-shake cold pack (no hot pack, Texas doesn't have much frostbite), pair of gloves, feminine hygiene supplies (pads can double in an injury situation - they aren't sterile but they can back up a sterile gauze on a bleeding wound. Obvious when you think about it!) Yes, this is REALLY packed. Cell phones don't work all the time in our rolling hills but I try to have walkie-talkie contact with someone at base camp. We bought the 5-mile range family radios with NOAA and have really liked them.

In my car kit, which stays in my car all the time so weight is not an issue, the added items include FLARES AND a folding TRIANGLE to keep other idiots from killing the survivors and first-aiders; the pressurized bottle of sterile normal saline for washing grit out of scrapes; extra break-and-shake cold packs since multiple victims easily occur on the road; latex gloves, CPR shield which I've thankfully never needed; and some essentially disposable orange safety vests. SagerScout

----

2-#10 Scalpels

3-Amonia Inhalants

5-6-Safety Pins

3-4-Needles/Pins

1-Floss

1-Soap

1-Burn Cream(for minor burns only)

1-Vasoline

1-A&D(useful after hiking for an extended period of time)

1-Iodine

1-Purell Hand Sanitizer

8-10-Q-Tips

4-6-Benzalikolium Chloride Wipes

1-Tube Cake Gel(for diabetics)

1-Tube Triple Antibiotic Ointment

1-Tube Hydrocortisone Cream

1-Tube Extra Strength Benadryl

1-New Skin(Gods Creation)

4-Pairs Latex Gloves

2-Pairs Nitrile Gloves

1-ARC CPR Pocket Mask

1-Bulb Suction

6-4X4s

2-Triangular Bandages

2-Trauma Dressings

1-1 in. Roll Sports Tape

1-1 in. Roll First Aid Tape

1-1 cm. Roll First Aid Tape

1-Small Roll Duct Tape(Wrapped around a pencil)

1-Ice Pack

1-2-Glow Sticks

1-box Asst. Band aids

2-Heat Packs

1-Sharpie

2-Pens

3-Biohazard Bags

+-Incident Reports

+-First Aid Reference

1-Box Nexcare Bandages

8-Butterfly Closures

4-Knuckle Bandages

4-Finger Tip Bandages

2-Mole Skin

2-Mole Foam

3-Roller Gauze

8-2X2s

2-2X2X10s

6-Telfa Pads

4-2X3s

1-Thermometer

8-Probe Covers

1-Paramedic Shears

1-Bandage Scissors

2-Tounge Depressors(Double as finger splints)

1-Pointed Tweezers

1-Flashlight

1-Multi-tool

1-Knife

1-Headlamp

1-Compass.

On the outside of my kit, I carry a whistle, a knife, a multi-tool, orange caution tape and of course duct tape on the end of one of the buckles. The kit is a bit heavy but at Camporees and OA events I tend to be the one in charge of first aid. I have a different one for backpacking.

Jeff Huggins

----

We have several troop kits; all but one are commercial-type. The remaining kit is a military field trauma kit, heavy on dressings/bandages...I make sure we've got that one whenever we've got an axe yard set up! KoreaScouter

---

a mirror is useful as well- Eamonn

---

a whistle and duct tape.

As a past medic with the 101st, one of the items we were told to have just in case was duct tape. Works to protect blisters if needed, can hold wounds closed if needed and tends to less affected by environmental conditions that will defeat most band aids. Doesn't take much and can also be used to mark trails, danger areas and many other similar uses. It is one of those things that if you don't have you will probably need. It is much cheaper to use in quantity than medical tapes.

red feather

---

According to the G2SS:

Because of the possibility of exposure to communicable diseases, first-aid kits should include latex or vinyl gloves, plastic goggles or other eye protection, and antiseptic to be used when giving first aid to bleeding victims, as protection against possible exposure. Mouth barrier devices should be available for use with CPR.

Protection Considerations for Blood borne Pathogens

Many people are concerned about the rapid spread of HIV (the AIDS virus) and try to avoid exposing themselves to this hazard. Health professionals and amateur first-aiders like those of us in Scouting may find ourselves faced with special concerns in this regard. Therefore, we must know how to act and how to instruct the youth we lead. Try to maintain the BSA's tradition of rendering first aid to those in need. Recognize that often the victims we treat with first aid are friends and family members whose health we are familiar with. Therefore, in such cases, except when we know they have infectious diseases, we should not hesitate to treat them.

The Boy Scouts of America Recommends

Treat all blood as if it were contaminated with blood borne viruses. Do not use bare hands to stop bleeding; always use a protective barrier. Always wash exposed skin area with hot water and soap immediately after treating the victim. The following equipment is to be included in all first-aid kits and used when rendering first aid to those in need:

Latex or vinyl gloves, to be used when stopping bleeding or dressing wounds

A mouth-barrier device for rendering rescue breathing or CPR

Plastic goggles or other eye protection to prevent a victim's blood from getting into the rescuer's eyes in the event of serious arterial bleeding

Antiseptic, for sterilizing or cleaning exposed skin area, particularly if there is no soap or water available.

Individuals (medicine, fire rescue, and law enforcement Venturing crew members; volunteer first-aiders at Camporees, Scouting shows, and similar events) who might have been exposed to another's blood and body fluids should know the following:

The chartered organization and its leaders should always explain and make clear the possible degree of exposure to blood or body fluids as a result of Scouting activities.

As a precaution, adult volunteers or youth members should consider a hepatitis B vaccination. The cost of the shots will not be borne by BSA, nor is the chartered organization required to underwrite the cost.

The chartered organization may arrange to have shots given at a reduced rate or free of charge.

If vaccination is recommended, any adult volunteers and youth members who decline the shots, either at full cost to them or at a reduced rate, or free, should sign a refusal waiver that should be retained by the council for five years. Scoutldr

---

campmor, rei, and Sportsmans Guide has FA kits. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?c=83&k=first+aid

Chris Gagliano

----

If your looking for a good, cheap small kit I suggest you check out www.galls.com They have a navy blue fold open back for $16. You cant beat it. And yes, I carry triangular bandages with me. The scout neckerchiefs are not very absorbent. Jeff Huggins

---

I am using a fanny pack as a first aid kit for day camps. My training is ex.-First Aid Merit Badge. I've have: latex and nitrile gloves, some .25 inch medical tape, a roll of like .75 inch tape, a medical mask (like what a dentist wears), several gauze pads of different sizes, an ACE wrap, and a "Shark". A "shark" is used mainly by athletic trainers, and coaches to cut off tape and the pre-wrap stuff from athletes' ankles and wrists, etc.

I'm considering getting some athletic tape and wrap, and a pair of EMT shears and a pair of goggles. hops_scout

---

One of my original WFR instructors, an ER Doc said he only carried a few bandaids and duct tape...but he (*did carry it everywhere). I have two kits, one for the car (which stays there) and a smaller one that I carry in my pack, which goes with me. On the river we have an even larger one complete with a backboard.

Know how to use it properly. Below, are two links I found for WFA and WFR classes in Illinois. The National Safety Council is probably your best bet. They purport to offer a WFA which is only 16 hours long. The other one shows that an Illinois Univ has offered WFR (a far more extensive class up to 100 hours long) in the past. It has a phone number.

For a CPR Mask: If you carry a first aid kit bigger than your pocket, I would suggest the following CPR mask. A mask of this type will protect you from the victim vomiting back on you during CPR if they are actually going to respond. It has an oxygen inlet that the EMTs will know how to use if you are working on a CPR victim: http://www.cpr-pro.com/2000P50.html

The following seem to offer WFA or WFR in Illinois. You should email them to see what they have, or if they know of a course that will run near you. Getting this kind of course is very important for anyone involved in taking kids out even an hour away from EMS help:

National Safety Council

1211 Spring Lake Dr., Itasca, IL 60143-3021

800-621-7619 Fax: 630-285-1315

630-285-1121

Web Site: www.nsc.org E-Mail: kennedyj@nsc.org

Number of Employees: 600

Ownership: Nonprofit Membership Organization

Distribution: Service Company Direct

CEO: Gerard Scannell/President

Marketing: Christine A. Hoffman/Exhibit Sales

Mary Beth Murray/Marketing

Operations: Thomas W. Planek/Director, Research & Statistical Services

Training, First Aid trf

The National Safety Council offers comprehensive, state-of-the-art training materials in first aid, CPR, bloodborne pathogens, first responder, wilderness first aid, and AED.

A IL Univ that has in the past offered WFR:

http://www.wiu.edu/release.sphp?id=1062

An ARC sites indicates that there may be a WFA class in St Louis MO

restech.wustl.edu/~outing/leaders/wfa.application.doc

Another resource that you should access is the following guy from SIU whose program may teach WFA. At least he could help you find a good course:

Touch of Nature Environmental Center

Southern Illinois University

Carbondale, Illinois 62901-6888

Phone: (618) 453-1121 Fax: (618) 453-1188

Email: tonec@tonec.siu.edu

The next best thing to a WFR is to take the ARC class and get the following books which you should study. WFA by Fogerty (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076270490X/qid=1101736846/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/104-8876004-2584741)

and the one by NOLS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811728641/qid=1101736846/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8876004-2584741?v=glance&s=books)

johnmbowen

----

CPR Shields:

The American Red Cross sells them. (About $5)

Our Scout shop sells them. (About $3)

The basic items for a Scout's individual first aid kit are listing in the Boy Scout Handbook. Those items should do for most activities. I prefer to put together my own kit.

Many first aid kits see little use, so the items get old and outdated. Before and after each activity that a unit takes make sure to check the kit for content needed for the activity. Have a list of contents with the date the items were put into the kit and the actual expiration date of the items.

Owl62

---

I decided to build my own.

Adult Advil

Childrens Advil

Benadryl cream Small tube

Peptobysmal Tablets

Benadryl Pills

Cough drops

Tweezers

Antiseptic wipes

Neosporin

Small surgical Scissors

Band Aides at four different sizes

Blister band aides

Two 4 inch gauze pads

Quick Wrap

Duct tape ~ 36

Latex Gloves

Emergency Blanket

Tick card

Q-tips

Water Purifier tablets

Hand sanitizer

Its Me

----

I didn't take out all of the duplication nor did I check the websites. Some may have updates to the items in kits or types of kits needed for activity specific kits.

I found this information helpful and want to thank those that had input in '02

FB