Insurance Coverage for Troop Trailer and Equipment

We had a discussion at our parents/committee meeting regarding insurance coverage for our troop trailer and the equipment in it. There appears to be money set aside from many many years ago in a savings account that is meant to cover the replacement of the trailer and equipment. In my opinion, I don't think there is enough money to cover that as it is. This has become a big topic of discussion as we are trying to figure out what to do with covering the potential loss of the trailer and/or equipment.

Looking for feedback as to how other troops handle insurance for troop trailers and equipment (eg, does the CO pick it up in their insurance, does the troop pay for, money set aside, etc.).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

I've had the same discussions with our CO regarding our new trailer. Liability insurance in our state covers the trailer by the vehicle towing it. But theft of the trailer and its contents are not. That would require another policy. Since the trailer is owned by the CO, I think it is their responsibility to cover that, so far they haven't done so. However, we don't store equipment in our trailer and since we don't have a lot invested in it, are basically self insured if it disappears.

Normally, nothing should be registered in the Unit's name, since a unit is not a legal entity. It should be registered in the CO's name, or an individual's name. In our case, we "own" an old Chevy Suburban that someone donated. It is registered in the SM's name and he pays the insurance on it (liability only).(This message has been edited by scoutldr)