A Scout is Loyal

http://www.timesnews.net/community_article.php?id=416

Published 2006-07-27 16:26:11

By Kurt Stevenson

Since 1910, Scouting has had several basic fundamentals. Lord Baden-Powell set up these principles to insure the integrity of Scouts everywhere. These are known in Scouting as the Scout Law, the Scout Motto and the Scout Oath

In this series of articles, we will examine the 12 points of the Scout Law, the Scout Motto, the Scout Oath and hear about lessons learned through Scouting from various members of the Warriors Path District Committee and from various books on Scouting and Lord Baden-Powell

The Scout Law states that a Scout is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty,

Brave, Clean and Reverent.

In this second of the series, we will look at what it means to be "LOYAL"

The word loyal originally comes the word "law". This was meant to express faithfulness to the law. As time passed, it was extended out to mean loyalty to those in position of authority, a prince, a king or a comander in the field. Loyalty to our country is loyalty to its laws and to those who represent them, and willingness to give up our private interests for the public welfare; this implies loyalty to the President of the United States as the chief magistrate.

Loyalty to one's scout leader is loyalty to the scout law in all its applications; loyalty to one's home and parents is loyalty to the laws of the home, by which it is made a happy place for all the members of the family; and the highest loyalty to a friend is loyalty to the best things that he stands for and not to his weaknesses.

Lord Baden-Powell once said that "loyalty is a feature in a boy's character that inspires boundless hope." I asked other Scouters how they would define "Loyal" in regards to scouting and here is what they said.

Casey Norwood, Field Director for the Sequoyah Council, said "I believe that loyalty is one of the most important 12 points of the Scout law. Being true to your family, your friends, your country and to God. I think that being loyal builds trust and accountability. If someone is loyal to you it just means that whatever you need they will be there for you. When you need someone it isn't always convienant for that person to help or listen but that person will do so because it is the right thing to do."

If you are loyal to others, it is right to expect them to be loyal to you.

"To a scout, being loyal is akin to an allegiance or in some cases even obedience. I have witnessed this loyalty in the making recently during two overnight backpacking practice trips where a group of six scouts were put together and were expected to elect a crew leader, and then support that leader and the crew", Steve Brumitt, District Committee Chairman of the Warriors Path District commented after a recent outing.

"While discussing the subject of loyalty with them during one practice hike we concluded that loyalty for us this July will be giving to the crew and not just to self. If I take care of the crew first the crew will take care of me."

Without loyalty, a scout can not keep the very law he has on his honor vowed to keep.

"A scout is Loyal to his God, his family, his country, his friends, his school, his troop," Jeff Bays, District Executive Warriors Path District.

For more information on Scouting and how to join, visit www.scbsa.org or call the council office at 962-6961