of power tools and knives

I do have one question with the G2SS, I can understand the restriction against chain saws, but having never used a log splitter, could someone explain the danger in that tool?

This is a poorly written G2SS rule, eh? There are some varieties of mechanical logsplitters that use a fast-moving impact wedge which can be hazardous to those who aren't careful. Risk is from the splitter itself and also from the potential of flying wood.

On the other hand, there are some log splitters that use a slow-moving pressure wedge which are quite safe for high school or even middle school kids to operate - a heck of a lot safer than an axe, eh!

Power tools are listed as OK for Boy Scout age youth in da BSA's age appropriate guidelines, and quite frankly, when else are boys goin' to get instruction on the safe use of such tools? The "no power tools for Eagle projects" bit seems to resurface here about every 5 years or so before those with knowledge and common sense beat it back into submission.

OK, here is the edited version of the 2002 review of this subject:

To the best of my knowledge scouts are permitted to use power tools except for those specifically restricted in the Guide to Safe Scouting. Even as Webelos they use woodworking power tools. OGE

My Webelos use scroll saws, band saws, power sanders, brad tackers drills and drill presses working on Pinewood Derbies and Craftsman pin projects. Of course it's in an EXTREMELY controlled situation -- one-on-one instruction, close supervision (usually me or another adult who knows what they're doing with my hands holding the Scouts' hands or just inches away) and usually with the Scouts' parents helping. These are all low velocity, low power tools. You would have to totally ignore all safety rules to get hurt on one of these. I wouldn't want a Webelos-aged boy using a table saw, radial arm saw or jointer. Twocubdad

You are of course expected to follow the Sweet 16 of Scouting safety as described in the GTSS.

especially; qualified adult supervision, operation and safety training, first aid equipment, personal protection equipment, proper work and safety area, discipline etc. BW

According to our council office, the boy whose project is being done can use a power tool (within reason) after being properly instructed in its operation. He may then instruct other boys in the use of the tool and supervise their operation of it. This probably goes to the leadership part of the project.

Not all power tools are allowed of course, I was checking on the specific use of a jackhammer at a recent project and was informed (by council) that this type of equipment should only be used by those 18 and older. Jark

With boys you have to be sure that they have the physical strength and weight to control any machine you may consider letting them use. Almost anybody can handle a power drill, and the potential for injury and damage are relatively slight. A rotary saw is another matter however. Eisley

How does one get hurt with a jackhammer?

1. Permanent, irreversible hearing loss.

2. Raynaud's Syndrome (vibration "white finger" disease)

3. Injuries from handling high pressure air hoses

4. Foot injuries (are you going to buy everyone a pair of $100 steel-toe boots for use on the "project")

5. Eye injuries from flying debris

6. Back injuries because young scouts are not "conditioned" for heavy labor- scoutldr

Insurance, BSA Youth accident insurance is very simple in coverage. A scout receives the benefits of the policy if he is injured during activities that he is participating in as a scout. There are no exceptions based on the appropriateness of the activity, that is the responsibility of the adults who are leading the activity. If the activity is not monitored and managed in accordance with the policies and procedures as published by the BSA then the adult will lose the protection of the BSA liability protection and be exposed to possible losses through civil suits leveled by the families of the injured parties or by the scouting organization. BW

Someone might also want to post the Sweet Sixteen of Scouting Safety.

FB