When an Eagle candidate completes his service project and has funds remaining in his budget, who recieves the surplus?

For example: "John" raised $200 for his project which benefited a local charitable organization. Ten donations of $20 each were made directly to his troop, which then disbursed the monies to John per his project budget. Based on actual reciepts, John spent only $150 of the $200 he raised. Should the remaining $50 stay in the troop treasury, be given to the charity, or be refunded to the ten donors ($5 each).

Some thoughts (in order of my personal preference):

1. Do something additional for the recipient.

2. Give the money to the charity.

3. Make a plaque ("Eagle Project of Troop 123"), have a photo framed and hung at the troop's meeting place, etc.

99. Keep the money for the troop

999. Keep the money himself.

He wants to make sure the surplus money goes where it belongs, but he's not sure who that is... Maybe I'll ask him to think of it from the donor's POV ... where do they think their money is going?...

The money should either go to the project benefactor or back to the donors. Niether the troop nor the boy should keep it, since that was not the original intent of the donation.

The question of what happend to extra funds may come up during his Eagle Board of Review. A record of where this money went should be part of his project write up.

Good answer AvidSM. The money hould be used for it's original intent.

I know a young man who used money he raised for his mother's cancer treatment to take a trip to Hawaii. The entire community was up in arms over it. No, he wasn't a scout. LOL

I remember a scout who did an Eagle Project around a public building. I can't remember what it was, I believe it was some sort of memorial. He had excess funds. He ended up doing some landscaping - planted flowers, shrubs, etc. It wasn't part of the Eagle Project per se, but was icing on the cake. Nice use of excess funds.