Building Pride with in a Unit

As a youth in Scouting I remember thinking that my troop and patrol was the best.

This one thing I haven't seen in the troops around here, itd just another activity.

My son decided to try sports this year.

He had the same coach for football and track.

One thing I was impressed with the great job he did bringing the kids together as a team.

And the performance showed it.

We are a small school and they played against the biggest schools in the area. The other schools football teams often had 3 times the kids - same with the track team.

The football team went 6-1 with the only loss to the biggest school in the area by 1 point. The track team went undefeated.

With a new Sea Scout Ship starting up any tips to bring this type of pride to the unit?

Yah, it's tough CNY. Those sports teams have advantages we don't have. Frequency of practice, and simpleness of task.

Da best way to build pride is hard work and high expectations leading to achievement. Especially for boys, the hard work of doin' something together builds friendships and teams.

Dat means yeh have to do enough, frequently enough that the kids really struggle, and learn things, and get good at them.

Hard to do with a short meeting per week. Harder still because doing well as a youth leader or teammate in scouting involves a lot more skills than playin' a sport, so it takes more effort to master.

Da kids who are proud of their scoutin' are the ones who are showin' up a lot, givin' a lot, growin' a lot, and meetin' the highest expectations you can set.

Most youth thrive on some level of competition. Do the Sea Scouts engage in some contest with other ships..like BSA Troops do at Camporees?

If these exist, building excitement for that could be fairly easy to accomplish. That's just one quick thought. I'm sure there are other folks who have more comprehensive ideas, as this one just takes into account working toward one particular event.

This is a really interesting thread. Bevah, I've saved your post for future inspiration!

Maybe this should be moved to the Cub Scouting forum, but I'd really love to have everyone's input on this. I'll leave it to the moderator's discretion.

Any ideas out there about how this could apply (or experience) to Webelos dens? It's hard to get a handle on what is the difference between mediocure and high expectations are re: 4th & 5th graders.

For the Pack as a whole, well it's easier to motivate the younger cubs. But many of the Webs are "too cool" for the "little kid" stuff, or they've just "been there, bought the t-shirt".

I've had it with recruiting booths at school open house nights (zippo return for hours of investment). I'm coming to believe that the only effective recruiting through scouts who are pumped up about their den.

"Da best way to build pride is hard work and high expectations leading to achievement. Especially for boys, the hard work of doin' something together builds friendships and teams.

Dat means yeh have to do enough, frequently enough that the kids really struggle, and learn things, and get good at them. "

Take a look at Beav's wisdom above. One of the best way's to fullfill the objectives above within scouting is to plan a High Adventure trip that really challenges the participants. Plan it out a year in advance, plan and execute shakedown outings, with the participants working together, learning from each other, and gaining more confidence with each outing, and then going on that long awaited and anticipated trip that really challenges the participants.

Compare the pride and attitude of units in your area that have been to Philmont, Seabase, Catalina Island or other high adventure base as a unit versus those that car camp once a month.

SA

This pride thing can be hard.

Unit pride and Leader ego are two very different animals.

Competition is fine and dandy, but your not always going to win, in fact you might never win. (Yes Sea Scouts do have Regattas and inter-ship competitions.)

Getting the youth to grasp the idea that this is their Ship /Crew /Troop is a big part of it.

Even if this means that things don't go as well as when the adults do it all or organize everything.

Setting real goals that can be met, but are still challenging helps everyone in the unit feel better about the unit.

I'm not big on rules and that sort of thing, but there are standards. Work with the Petty Officers to have them set them high.

Don't cut corners.

Work with each member as an individual. Individuals make the unit.

Be the example setter, make sure you keep your word, don't make promises that you can't keep.

Never forget that the kids joined to have fun and enjoy themselves, if this isn't happening they will quit and there isn't going to be a unit.

Don't shy away from things that might seem hard.

Let everyone know that you care about them and look for things that they do well and share in their pride.

Eamonn.

I have thought of the suggestions you have made; I just didnt see these as the way to put pride into the unit.

My concern is I think I have a good idea on doing this with the Scout age guys however I am not sure how the young ladies fit in.

One thing we have discussed doing is having sailboat races with some other youth sailing programs in the area.

The guys are all gong-ho to do this; the young ladies are so-o about it and would be just happy to get together and just sail.

Making it challenging is the one area it want to work on.

One thing I am seeing with Troops is that many leaders seem to be afraid to challenge or have high expectations of the kids, as they seem to think that the kids will leave if they do

Yet this is the one of the main reason kids are not staying with Scouting.

Having a new unit with no youth leaders yet (and not sure if anyone is ready to step up into these roles right away) how does a leader start to get the youth to grasp the idea that this is their Ship?

I know this is the key to having a successful program, but I have yet to be involved with a unit that has really accomplished this so I have no real practical experience to make this happen.