The thread What is your Council doing to address declining Membership?, fotoscouts posting ,and along with trying to organize a new unit got me thinking about attracting youth to scouting.

I my district a troop has been started. This was started in an area where there was already 5 troops and with only one pack to feed them.

This new troop now makes 6 Troops this pack feeds.

It seems that the WEB leaders from last year didnt like any of these troops so they took the 12 kids that were crossing over and started a new Troop.

They are now down to 6 Scouts.

They have now been around for 3 SM training courses and no one from the Troop has taken this yet.

I just found out my sons troop has started a Venturing Crew.

Im pretty sure none for the leaders of this have had Venturing Leaders Specific training as our council hasnt run the training in 2 or 3 years.

I would seem to me requiring at least a couple of leaders to have some training would be a good idea when starting off a new unit especially with a non-existent Commissioner Corp.

I dont see how this helps increase membership by just starting unit after unit if they dont know how to run a quality program.

How does your council handle new units and training?

Good points CNY

As the CC and COR for my venturing crew I tactfully insist all the assistant advisors and other adult leaders take Basic Leader Training and Venturing Specific together within three months of coming on board as a group, since we have two councils fairly close together and one or the other always has this training offered.

In preparation before that they take Fast Start, Venturing Youth Protection Training, Safety Afloat, etc. on line and all of us discuss it as a group. After these adults complete one full year of service they go to Powderhorn, and most of us who have several years under our belts help run the Kodiak program for venturing youth during the summer. In addition we have started a district wide Venturing Roundtable which is really growing.

The bottom line is with all this training, support,sharing, and teaching these adults are well prepared and successful in training and advising the teen officers in creating a solid and fun yearly program, and our crew is still growing after four years. TRAINING=SUCCESS!!!!