Yesterday was a nice rainy Sunday and I spent some time in the basement cleaning up some of my Scout debris. I have a box of old Boy's Life magazines from when I was a 'ute. '58-66. I don't have all the issues and they aren't in sequence, but I have moved this box with me several times over the years. I sat down and read through some of them. Pee-wee, Pedro, Whittlin'Jim all brought back great memories. I still subscribe as I like to know what the boy's in the Troop are reading (or not) and I wondered if 45-50 years from now any of the boys would be re-reading their old issues. Somehow I doubt it. I know I am not the target demographic for Boy's Life but I have been disappointed in it for many years. We are a 100% Boy's Life unit. We build it into the dues, but some of the boys grumble about it. I suppose it has always been this way, but I can't help but think that most boys today are not as excited to find their monthly issue in the mail as the old boys in the Flaming Arrow Patrol were. We used to actually talk about it in school and at Patrol meetings. Green Bar Bill was our hero. Just a rant from an old boy.

My boy and I fight over Boys Life when it firsts arrives. Of course he wins. I just read it a week latter. My ten year old is most interested the jokes. However, I know he reads at least some of the articles because during a converastion with some adults last week he described how one troop rode their bikes across American.

I imagine it's difficult for a print medium to be competitive for boy's attention these days. Despite all the image polishing and up to date graphics and kewl art design, BL is not interactive nor multi-media. Today, BL is subsidized by the organization and could not survive in a competitive environment. To grab the market, BL needs to go online.

Trev - I think you are right about an online edition.

BUT I also think they could improve the print edition by putting Scouting Skills back in.

The reason BL no longer publishes the BL Reprint series is there is nothing worth reprinting.

It seems run by a bunch of J-School types and not Old Scouts like Green Bar Bill.

Some would obiviously say the Scouting Skills wouldn't Go over. But then why are boys in Scouting and where sels can they get the info.

I think the whole of BSA needs to look at settling for quality (better program) over quanity (be satisfied with smaller membership

I.E. Not try to be all things to all people.

ronvo(This message has been edited by ronvo)

Oh and I'm not so sure that BL needs to go to an online format. Part of the fun (at least for the younger guys) is getting something in the mail. Plus I really don't need more competition for computer time!

Lisa'bob

L'b, you've got a point. Back when my two big, strapping Life Scouts were cubs, yes, they enjoyed BL a lot more than they do now. But to interest them now, it would have to be online with sound effects and car crashes. Or aliens. Or both.