Hi everyone. I've been reading the postings in the Forum for a while and wanted to introduce myself. I am the new Scoutmaster for our Troop, been at the job for almost a year now. Sure is different that all those years I spent as a Den Leader and Cubmaster.

I have an 18 year old Eagle Scout and a 12 year old 1st Class Scout - about to finish Star.

The greatest challenge I'm facing is being a FEMALE Scoutmaster. I know there are more of us out there, but I do get a very lonely feeling sometimes. I have excellent support from the Scouts and Troop Committee and I've seen them work hard to make a dramatic change in our Troop from last year.

Look forward to reading more in the Forum. Many of you have obviously been Scouters for a long time and have great advice.

Karen

I've been reading the posts in the "No Women Allowed" forum and it is heartening to hear so many folks out there that think positively about women in Scouting.

Unfortunately, there still exists too many Scouters who feel women have no place other than as Committee Members or in the Cub Scout ranks as leaders. A SM in my district even told me directly while I was Cubmaster that I would not be welcomed on any campouts if I moved up to Boy Scouts when my son crossed over. He said it was because the boys wouldn't feel comfortable.

With that in mind, I was hesitant to step up to the SM position last year. But, no one else would do it and rather than see the Troop fold I accepted the position.

It was tricky at first, lost a couple of boys and leaders to other troops simply because I was a girl. But, I am grateful to those leaders and Scouts who remained loyal to our Troop. We've had a pretty rough go of getting reorganized in the early part of the year, but things are coming together now. - a side note here: the Troop is less than 10 years old and has had 5 SM in that time.

Most importantly, the Scouts and other leaders that remained with our Troop and the new Scouts and families that joined over the past year have never made me feel unwelcomed in my role as SM.

Looking forward to next year and more growth in our Troop!

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are some challenges for you that many of us can't relate to. While there are more and more women in Scouting, there aren't a lot of scoutmasters that I've run across. It's interesting, our scoutmasters are all male (we do have some female committee members that serve on BORs and do other things), and I've heard from some that they like coming to our troop because of the "strong male leadership" and I've heard others express concern that it wasn't more "balanced". Personally, I'm open to whatever, ours has just turned out this way.

I agree with the statement about parents wanting "strong male leadership" and was the first to suggest we find a man to be our new Scoutmaster. But, that didn't work out. Fortunately, even though I am (a girl) SM, I am supported by "good strong males" as ASM and CC, both excellent role models for the Scouts.

Would like to spin off another thread about young/new Troops and transitions in leadership. We are a small troop (12 Scouts), relatively new (chartered in 1998) and unfortunately have had a succession of Scoutmasters and other adult leaders (I'm the 5th).