Only the good die young

."Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the

grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Bishop Hall

Since I became a Scoutmaster in 1989 four of my former Scouts have passed away.

First there was Chris. A Scout when I first became the Scoutmaster. He was very troubled. I tried to help him get past his problems, but he didn't stick with us. A couple of years later he'd gotten himself in a mess and didn't see a way out. He took his own life.

Next was Johnny. He was a good Scout despite problems within his family. Scouting was helping Johnny to grow as a person. He was one of those Scouts that make you realize what you're doing is making a difference. Johnny had to leave the troop when his family moved to Texas. Some of the Scouts kept up with him and I knew he'd been able to join another troop and was doing well.

After he'd gotten of age, he moved back to Alabama on his own. About four years ago Johnny was killed in a car accident.

He was hit head on by a drunk driver.

Last year Jack died in a work related accident. He'd only been a Scout for 4 - 5 months. I always remember him as a young mischievous, rambunctious kid. Certainly not a bad kid, just a little excitable.

Wednesday Adam died in another car accident. I don't know the details of it yet. Adam and his brother had only went on one camping trip with us. Their registrations were turned in but they never came back. That camping trip was special. We stayed on an island in the middle of Lake Guntersville (The Tennessee River) in December of 1998. They were both good kids.

They were all good kids - just in different ways.

One of the things we do in our troop is to light candles in memory of those Scouts that have passed away. Next time there will be four candles. I wish there wouldn't ever have to be more.

t158sm,

I feel your pain. I lost a scout in January of this year, he was hit by a car while trying to cross the street in a dimly lit area.

He was an active member of our troop, and though not a poster child for Scouting, he was well liked by the scouts. His loss was very difficult for our troop.

We got together with his school principal, and we planted a tree in his honor, with a small bronze sign commemorating his life. Also, our current Eagle candidate is dedicating his project to our fallen Scout. These small remembrances help to ease the pain and provide closure to the event.

I'm very sorry to hear of yet another loss for your troop. My prayers are with you.

CA_Scouter