Webelos Troop visit this evening

My Webelos den (actually only one of them) is going for a Troop visit this evening. When you go as a Webelos, do you usually wear your uniform? I don't mind wearing mine except if isn't fitting very good with me being 5 months pregnant. I didn't wear mine when I took my son for his Troop visit, I was also his leader and he was the only boy to go for a visit.

I always wear mine, but your situation IS different! ;) If it is uncomfortable or doesn't look very good, I'd pass. I think it should be evident why you aren't wearing it!

Do you just visit one troop? Do you have a form for the boys to compare and evaluate the troops you visit? We have one. If you want it, PM your email address me...I'll check back shortly, and I'll send it post haste.

MaScout,

We only have 3 Troops within a half hour drive. For this Scout that went tonight, the other 2 are not options. His dad has said no. When my son was considering Troops, we went to 2 of them. We went to the 2 that would be the best driving under bad weather conditions.

The Scout that went this evening didn't like the New Scout Patrol.

I have to say that I didn't care for the way they acted either. I am afraid that he isn't going to be a good fit for the group of boys. After we left, he said how immature and rude they were. Trust me this boy can be. But he has been in my den long enough to know how to act at a Scouting event.

Kittle,

Drat! It is tough when there is only one choice, and it is not a good fit. We'll probably lose this boy, too. That's sad. I do understand however. We live in a rural area, and really don't have much of a choice unless we look at an hour's drive each way. To date, our local troop seems a good fit for most. Good Luck!

Ma Scout

Please post your troop survey if you would. We have eleven Webelos I who will become II at the end of the month. There are at least 10 troops in our area.

I have ties with several of the troops through training and family friends. Two of my scouts have older brothers so they know where they are going. The rest are just begining the visiting process.

It is interesting talking to the exiting II's. One fella liked a troop because of the activity and size. Another fella felt it was too costly and over crowded in their meeting room.

I am interested to see how my son reacts to the various troops.

First, I want to let all of you know I received an assessment form much like this MANY years ago at a Pow-Wow. Times have changed, so I changed the assessment to suit US. I will send it to anyone who is interested, but would encourage each of you to look it over carefully and change it to suit your situation! Also make sure you talk to the Webelos about what they are seeing...Troop meetings SHOULD NOT look like a Cub Scout meeting! ;) Not all the questions will they have answers to. But it gives a starting point for the youth and their parents to know what they should be looking for.

That said, I will be glad to email it to any of you who want it. Just pm me with your email address, & I'll send it. We can't send attachments through scouter.com, and to be quite honest, I'm not computer savvy enough to put it on a web page or anything like that!

Ma Scout

This is the document MAScout sent me. She gave me permission to post.

Things to Look for When Choosing the Right Troop for Your Webelos Scout

1. Who initiated your visit to the troop? Did they invite you? Did your leader contact them?

2. Did the Scout meeting occur at the time and place you were told?

3. Are the Scouts in uniform? Class A (khaki shirt)? Class B (Troop designed T-shirt)?

4. Did anyone greet you? Who? Adult leaders? Youth leaders? Youth members?

5. Were you introduced to the troop? By whom? Scoutmaster? Senior Patrol leader? Your Den Leader?

6. Who ran the troop meeting? Scoutmaster or Adult Leaders? Senior Patrol Leader & Patrol Leaders?

7. Was the troop meeting organized? Working on agenda? Or was it unorganized? (It might have been noisy, but were the boys working on something?)

8. Did the Webelos feel welcome?

9. Were the Webelos invited to participate in the troop meeting?

10. Were there any plans for any upcoming outdoor activities? Were you told about them?

11. Were you introduced to a potential Troop Guide for your Webelos?

12. Scout Advancement

Did troop adult leaders discuss

Scoutmaster Conferences?

Boards of Review?

Merit Badge Counseling?

Advancement in Ranks?

13. How do you rate the quality of the troops program from your first impression?

14. Did the adults present appear to be knowledgeable in the Scout program?

15. Troop vs. Pack

Did troop adult leaders discuss

How rank advancement differs?

Patrol method?

Boy-led troop vs. Adult-led pack?

16. Did the Scout meeting have the following parts:

Opening

Welcome

Discussion of old & new business

Patrol time

Did the SPL sit down & talk to the Webelos about Boy Scouts

Did the SPL answer questions

Game

Skills or Merit Badge sessions

Recognition & Awards

Adult Communications

Scoutmaster Minute

Closing & cleanup

17. How did the Scout adults treat the Scout youth? With respect? Yelling at them?

18. How did the Scout youth treat the Scout adults? With respect? Not listening or ignoring?

19. How did the older Scouts treat the younger Scouts? With respect? Bullying or rude?

20. Did the Boy Scouts appear to enjoy the Scout meeting? Having fun? Bored?

21. Were the Scouts polite and cooperative with their Senior Patrol Leader, Patrol Leader, or other youth leaders?

22. Did you see trained patches on adult leaders uniforms?

23. Did you see trained patches on youth leaders uniforms?

24. How many adults were in uniform?

25. Were you asked back to another troop meeting?

26. Were you invited to an outing with the troop?

27. Were you invited to a Troop Court of Honor?

28. Did you have a good time?