Funding Programs through Patch Profits

Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse ...

While reading the National Camping Award thread, I found in the .pdf that the patches are $3.85 each. From the picture, it appears to be no larger than a 2.5" or 3" patch. District and Council event patches cost between $3.00 and $5.00. The local OA lodge charges $4.00 for a flap.

I didn't think much about patch prices until recently. My unit had two patches made: 1) a standard 3" patch with 75% stitching and a rolled edge. We ordered 300 and they cost $1 each. 2) a 3.5" flap shaped patch with 100% stitching and a rolled edge. We ordered 300 and they cost $1.50 each.

I accept and understand that some markup of patches is needed to help fund the Scouting program. Also, I accept that higher fees may make Scouting unavailable to some youth. However, I have to take issue with a 200%-300% (or more) markup!

Welcome in ericjude:

Im Glad to have a fellow Southerner join us.

Yes the patch markup is high and not for the reasons

scoutldr gave.

The last camporee we hosted in 2004 had patches that were marked up 300% and yes they were made in China.

It seems patches are just another way to bleed volunteers for more money and fill the BSA coffers.

Welcome to the forums!

As we know, Scouting is a non profit organization. Income comes from registration fees, sales of merchandise, uniforms, insignia, camp fees, publications, event fees, donations, etc., etc., etc. The way I look at it, every penny received is used to provide Scouting to youth.

First if your buying patches made in China, shame on you. There are good patch manufacturers in the US that are just as inexpensive.

As to cost charged, don't buy them if you don't like the price. Most advancement patches are reasonable priced. Things like OA and other special patches are priced to raise profits for the lodge. People pay the price because they want the patch, and it supports the lodge or activity.

"First if your buying patches made in China, shame on you. There are good patch manufacturers in the US that are just as inexpensive. "

Before you criticize about something you don't know the facts about -

However it works in your council, I don't know.

But the unit hosting the camporee in my council HAS NO SAY WHATSOEVER as to where the patches are ordered.

I have a friend who is connected with an American patch company who offered a really low cost for the patches. I was told that we cannot use them. We have contracts for all our patches.

THAT IS WHY THIS IS A SORE SUBJECT WITH ME . . .

t158sm: Thank you. I've been lurking for a while and really appreciate all of the discussions and informations in the forums.

I'm not talking about the advancement patches (rank, merit badges, etc.). Those are paid by the unit and are part of the troop budget. I'm also not talking about $100 FOS CSPs or $25 lodge NOAC fundraiser sets. I'm talking about the stuff designed by the council or district (e.g., activity patches, neckerchiefs or CSPs).

I don't want to pay the price and I don't pay the price. But I'm an adult now. I remember being a youth and feeling left out because I was not able to afford the summer camp neckerchief or extra Fellowship patch. And I know of current youth in my troop that are in the same situation.

You could argue that it's a life lesson .. but try explaining that to the only 11 year old new scout in the unit who can't afford the Spring Scout-O-Ree neckerchief.

BTW ... my council orders all of their stuff from a company in Florida. The exact same company that the unit ordered our patches.(This message has been edited by ericjude)

Eric:

One thing we do on a trip is to make sure each Scout has a patch.

If the troop treasury can afford it then it pays.

If the troop cannot, then I pay.

Principles aside, the cost is irrelevant to taking care of the Scouts in the troop.

But were only talking about 15 - 20 Scouts at the most on any given trip.(This message has been edited by t158sm)