Service through scouting

Service through scouting

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/kentucky/living/community/13875178.htm

http://tinyurl.com/e29lh

Teens take on projects big and bigger

By Esther Marr

HERALD-LEADER CORRESPONDENT

Posted on Wed, Feb. 15, 2006

Without Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, the world would be missing more than just Thin Mints, tins of popcorn and childhood camping trips.

Perhaps a bigger void would be felt in the communities where scouts dedicate hundreds of hours of their time on service projects that result in new hiking trails, reading programs for kids and food drives for needy families.

The projects, mandatory for girls and boys who plan to "graduate" from the programs and compete for college scholarships from the groups, are meant to encourage volunteerism and build leadership and character in the youths.

Each year, scouts in Central Kentucky receive Eagle Scout Awards (for the boys) and Gold Awards (for the girls) for projects. The girls, who receive their awards in the spring, must spend 65 hours of service on their projects. The boys must commit 80 hours.

Here's a roundup of a few of the projects that will be recognized in the spring:

A peaceful message

As you drive by Pax Christi Catholic Church, it's hard to miss the vibrant hues that gleam through its lower-level window, visible to passers-by off Man o' War on Victoria Way.

Before the completion of Katie Carter's mural, though, the interior walls were white, bland and devoid of cheer. Carter, a Lexington Catholic High School senior and a Girl Scout since first grade, devoted 50 hours to planning, researching, painting and presenting her project.

After carefully mapping out her drawing plans, Carter, who started attending the church last summer, got approval from the church board. She then gathered a crew of volunteers, including some members of the church's youth group, to help.

Carter's project began with trips to the library to research all the steps involved in painting a mural, something that would fulfill the requirements for the award and appeal to her interest in art.

Carter and her crew completed the mural over two days on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. This month, she gave presentations at a few Masses and talked to congregants about the project.

"First I drew lines out to where I should paint, then I practiced my sponging techniques before beginning," said Carter, who instructed her crew on where to use specific colors and the technique of sponging.

The words "My peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you" are now scripted on the wall, accented by the church's dove symbol. Following the quote and image is a streamlined series of colors representative of a sunset, with shades of yellow, orange, red and purple.

"The mural was something the church wanted and needed," Carter said. "I simply responded to the call." She said the men's club at the church had provided the money for supplies.

Sew much for free

Nicholasville resident Andrea Watts is putting the finishing touches on her project, which involved making and distributing pouches to residents of Royal Manor, a nursing home in Nicholasville.

"It was a great experience, knowing that I helped them in some small way. They kept asking me how much (the pouches) cost," Watts said. "They couldn't believe it that they were free. ... It was so neat for them to know that someone in the community cared about them."

Watts, who had help from her mother, grandmother and a sewing circle at her church, made hand-crafted pouches for the men and women at the home. The pouches, made to hang on wheelchairs or walkers, were filled with handkerchiefs, emery boards, Kleenex and other items.

Watts came up with the idea while volunteering to assist residents in their exercises and bingo games.

"I knew I wanted to make something," she said.

Watts and her team of volunteers created about 120 pouches and distributed 50 during a reception at the home. Her family attended and served food to the residents.

Watts said her project was a way to support the World War II generation that "fought for our freedom."

"It's my way of saying thank you," she said. "The most rewarding part for me was knowing they were so happy. Even though the pouches might not last that long, it was worth it for the moment, just to see their smiles."

Buddy Walk signs

Glenn Fernandez has never felt awkward around people with Down syndrome.

For as long as he can remember, he has interacted with and engaged in activities with his aunt, who has the condition. To him, people with Down syndrome are just like everyone else -- they just need a little extra help every now and then.

For several years, Fernandez has participated in the Buddy Walk, a charity event sponsored by the Down Syndrome Association, where participants travel by foot from Keeneland to the Kentucky Horse Park.

Fernandez, who became a boy scout at the end of fifth grade, decided to incorporate his involvement with the association into his Eagle Scout project. He talked to the president of the Downs Syndrome Association and discovered the need for various types of signs to mark the way from start to finish for the Buddy Walk participants.

"They needed (signs) they could reuse each year," he said.

After raising money and buying wood to create the signs, Fernandez built two prototypes. In September, he began painting and assembling more than 30 signs. with help from volunteers.

Ashland conservation

Reynolds Foster, a senior at Henry Clay High School, has lived in Lexington's Chevy Chase his entire life. Nearby Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, became the subject of his Eagle Scout project.

Foster's mother is a member of the Lexington Garden Club, a group that has wanted to conduct a conservation project at Ashland for quite some time but lacked the manpower to complete it.

With more than a dozen volunteers and instructions from a garden club member, Foster helped clear vines from more than 15 trees on the lush trails surrounding the estate. By clearing the vines, Foster also revitalized the endangered buffalo clover growing near the trees that had been nearly choked out.

Foster, also a member of the Henry Clay High School football team, started with Cub Scouts in second grade and has stayed with Scouts through high school. He plans to attend the University of Kentucky next year.

"This project has taught me how much planning it takes to get something off the ground," he said.

Love of animals

Alexis Ashmore has a keen interest and passion for helping animals.

So when it was time to decide on her project, she chose one to feed that passion.

Alexis is a volunteer at the Boyle County Humane Society.

The humane society has a pet cemetery on its property and a meditation area where owners can reflect on the times they shared with their pets.

After a few visits to the area, Alexis realized something was missing in the cemetery -- a place for mourners to sit.

Alexis is raising money to build a gazebo or park bench for cemetery visitors.

Domino's Pizza in Danville recently donated 100 coupons, worth $10 each, for her to sell and use the money to buy supplies.

She hopes to complete the project in the spring.