Scout Membership - Would You Say No?

We had a troop bully. He was the reason for the troop instituting a code of behavior. That youngster played the policy like a fiddle. It was frustrating to say the least. He even tried to bully/campaign election to the O.A. three years in a row. He was never elected. He disappeared during football season his sophomore year, and it was learned through the grapevine that yes, he had made the team, and was getting the stuffings pounded out of him with regularity.

In dealing with problem youngsters the first place to look is in the home, as has been remarked upon. His was the Dysfunctional Family if ever there was one. Their church was able to get them into family counselling. It did help. . . some.

He become active after football season was over. I guess ending on up his back with the wind knocked out of him helped him to see things differently. He did pass his Eagle Board of Review. I sat on that board. We had lots of questions about his living the scout Oath and Law. Lots. But he had met the requirements of the Eagle rank. His attitude had changed. Football? Good guess. He did receive his Eagle medal but he did not have a Court of Honor. The wife of the TCC saw that he got it. Haven't seen him at a troop meeting since his BoR. Cutest Bobwhite, my wife, was disappointed that we passed him for Eagle. She said that he did not deserve it. I replied that even an eagle molts its feathers from time to time.

Sometimes you really cannot see the forest for all those trees. "Scouting is for all boys" gets lost when you have a bully in the troop. He is the type of boy that needs the lessons of scouting now . . . and later in his life.

FScouter,

The UC has a son in our unit. He has been at all committee meetings since I can remember. He's a good guy. We were in the process of registering him for committee when we found out he was our UC. The Local Council appoints a UC for each unit. Council gave us two names before his, neither were correct. This man was not even aware that he was our UC until recently! He was UC for other troops in the past, not sure about now.

I do think our UC is doing his job. My understanding is that his role is to explain Scout policy & mediate. I do disagree with him on the CO being uninvolved. Otherwise, no problem.

At this point, I'm not saying we should say "no" to this young man. But perhaps an introduction and short talk with the SM beforehand would have let him know what he was getting into. He would have at least understood the no smoking policy. And the question remains... what do we do with him now that he is there? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

firecrafter

I'm not sure you should do anything with him, really. As I mentioned, he is only going to be eligible for youth membership for two more months. Do you have a fun outing coming up that he wants to do? That's one of the few reasons I can think of for him joining at such a late date. Maybe he wants to put "Boy Scout" on a college or job application. Since he apparently has no scouting experience, at least you won't have to worry about rank advancement.

When he turns 18, he can be politely told that the troop doesn't need him as an adult leader, but that he might want to consider being active in a Venturing Crew.

Hunt,

We have a great outing this month but he has already missed the deadline for that. Next month is a back to basics outing.

I guess I'm asking on a practical level what to "do" with him. Do we put him in a patrol with much younger Scouts? Obviously tenting with them is not acceptable. I am thinking he may be pretty miserable sitting in meetings with no real job to do and 14 year olds leading him. I understand we don't really have to do anything, but wouldn't it be best to make his two months as painless as possible?

firecrafter

Perhaps have him camp with "his age group" - the "Senior Patrol." As for smoking, that is a No-No. Next time he is smoking, throw water at him, because you must assume he is on fire ;). Have you sat down with the ASM and ask WHY this, umm, 'youth' is in scouting right now??? There might be a story behind it.

Jon

Interestingly enough, the ASM admitted to giving permission to this young man to smoke at Scout functions and on campouts. After setting things straight, we haven't seen the new Scout since.

This particular ASM has shown poor judgement in so many areas, it's hard to get an honest answer out of him as to why he does anything.

firecrafter