I just received my "Troop Membership Tools" CD from National. Much of it is already contained on the Scout Zone website (www.thescoutzone.org), but it's handy to have it in CD format. We'll definitely use the "Recruit a Friend" portion to prepare for Fall Recruiting.

However; by far the best item on the CD is the "Scout Zone" music video. I think it's awesome. The tune is really catchy and there are non-stop images of Scouts in action and having fun. I'm planning to show it during our annual planning conference this weekend and we'll run it at a troop meeting to pump the guys up for recruiting. It'll be a great "attention-getter" at School Night for Scouting. In fact, I think a shortened version would make a great TV commercial to promote Scouting.

Who else has seen it? Your thoughts?

CubScoutJo,

I'm not sure who's targeted to receive these - I'd guess the Scoutmaster and perhaps committee chair. The instructions say "Feel free to duplicate it". Check with your council if no one in your unit received one. Hopefully they'll add this to the Scout Zone website.

I do wonder if this is a Boy Scout only item or if similar DVDs were created for Cubs and Venturers. Anyone know?

Purcelce,

Not to worry, we'll have a half-dozen Scouts to police the premises.

P.S. Check your home email - we need help with a summer camp blue card.

Just got back from annual planning, where I previewed the Scout Zone video for the PLC. They all thought it was "pretty good" and agreed that we should include it at our display during School Night for Scouting.

Sidebar. The annual planning conference went very well. Anyone who tells you that it isn't necessary for a good program or that the Scouts aren't really able to do that type of planning is flat out wrong. My Scouts developed a great program with some really neat goals. They impressed me with the quality of their ideas and suggestions. It was inspiring to me and the assistant Scoutmasters. We're looking forward to helping them work their plan.