Planning for 2010 Jamboree

My son is already looking forward when he is eligible to go to the 100th Anniversary Jamboree in 2010. Therefore, I am going to ask a question for planning purposes, as I am sure this isn't the first time this has come up.

With so many in attendence, what does a diabetic do with their meds? Needles, meds, they can't be just left in a tent. Where do diabetics store their things and where do they go to inject themselves in private so not to cause any (illegal, questions) issues amongst others?(This message has been edited by scotiacat)

You would have to make arrangements through your local Council Executive I believe. Probably what would happen is each subcamp has their own medical tent with staff. I would assume arrangements could be made to keep the insulin in their refrigerator, and they would have medical staff available in the tent to do whatever supervision of the injections if any , would be required.

In 2001 I attended the Jamboree as an ASM of one of our contingent troops. My son was a Patrol Leader of another troop in the Council Contingent. He has a medical condition that requires him to self catheterize himself through a stoma located on his lower abdomen. He sleeps with a urinary drainage bag attached and must flush his bladder with 180 ccs of water every night. When we went to the Jamboree, we had three trunks, one for me, one for him and one for his medical supplies. The medical office at sub camp 3 in 2001 was as accomadating as could be. They gave us a private spot to change catheters and attach the drainage bag, they gave us space to store the supplies so we didnt have to carry it and were all very nice. I cant see having any problems with medical conditions if you let everyone know up front what needs you have.

scotiacat,

I can answer that for you! I am an insulin dependent diabetic who uses an insulin pump and just returned from Jambo. First off, if you are flying, all medications should be with you on a carry-on. Never put them with baggage that will be checked....and lost. Contrary to popular belief, insulin CAN be stored at room temperature. Obviously it can not get too hot, or freeze or left in sunlight. But it can be stored in a dark place at room temperature. Put it between several layers of clothing in the carry-on and it will keep from getting too hot for a long period of time. Each sub-camp at Jambo has its own Medical tent. They have a refrigerator at each of these medical tents. They will be more than happy to store it for you once you arrive at Jambo. Being an adult, they let me walk right back and get it whenever I asked. For a boy, they would probably bring it to them. Make sure that each bottle has a prescription label. Most troops bring at least one small ice chest. You could keep one bottle in a waterproof container in the ice chest in camp and keep the back up supply at the medical tent. As far as supplies like syringes, alcohol wipes, glucometer, test strips, lancets, etc., put them all in one giant ziplock in your carry-on. I've traveled by air for years and never been questioned for having these materials with me. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else. BTW, even though having food in a tent is a no-no in scouting, being diabetic trumps the no-no because of low blood sugar conditions. If you have an adult leader who disagrees, educate him.

• 2 years later...

I served as a nurse at the 2005 Jamboree, there is a small refrigerator in the sub-camp medical tent (mini clinic), durintg In-Processing the Scouts will let the medical staff know when, how, etc regarding their insulin. All medications needing refrigeration will be maintain and given top priority during their stay at Jambo!(This message has been edited by IzzyRN)