Its not our program it’s the kids today

WHAT THEY STOP TRAINING?

WHERE is the Paid Professional for your District? What happen to the Commissioner Staff, the District Committee, THE SCOUTING PROGRAM ????

No roundtable, no fast start vcr's, take the adults to other districts for training, invite training teams to your unit. Get a Venturing crew or Explorer post to help out.It is frustrating ,stay with it. The boys are the leaders, let them lead the adults to the program. Offer the very best progam that you can. It takes time, asks for help. Get them all involved.

Seabear-

Yes, I have to say most of these people have stopped taking training.

It seems the professionals in our council are only concerned with numbers and could care less if the Troops are running a good program or not.

Almost all have had the basic training courses but nothing beyond that.

I went shopping for a new troop and contacted the 8 other Troops that were in a 10-minute radius from me. Of these, only about half had a representative at roundtable and 2 of them were roundtable commissioners.

Of these 9 troops no SMs are Wood Badge trained.

The first Troop we were in had a SM that was there 12 years, a CC that was there 8 years, and 2 ASMs that had been there over 35 years as adult leaders (plus 7 years as scouts) and none had taken any recent SM training (a couple had taken some type of training in the 70s).

The SM was the only one who had ever been to a roundtable.

I was actually discouraged from taking training from the other leaders in this unit, as I was told that I should be out doing things with the scouts instead spending my time taking training.

All the leaders in our new troop has had the basic training but none are willing to do anything else. Only one other adult and myself have ever been to a roundtable. The Troop has a person who has taken the old Train the Trainer course. She would happily run courses but no other leaders are willing to attend. As her son just turned 18(and just made Eagle) she has already told us that she will not be very active this year and will be getting out of scouting as she was only doing this for her son.

If you want training in our council you have to take it at the council level. Our district stopped offering training because they could not get enough participants.

The basic training courses are offered and run at least once a year (CM training, SM training and the DL training) but almost all the other courses have been offered but not run due to lack of participants.

BALOO, WEBELOS outdoor leaders, Trainers Development have not been run in at least 3 years. Cold Weather Training and Okpik Training have never been offer as far as I know (I have heard some people ask about them).

I have been told if I want to take the Trainers Development I will have to go out of council to get it.

2 years ago, for the first time in 10 years, our council held a Wood Badge course and it filled quickly. This year it has been canceled due to lack of participants. It looks like if I want this I will have to go out of council also.

Perhaps these are the reasons our council will be slowly ramping up to mandatory training by 2007. All leaders with over 1 year of service will have to be fully trained in their position or the unit will not be able to recharter in 2007.

CNYScouter