Buddy System - Lead by example

OK, I'll ask the question; regarding the missing Scout Brennan Hawkins.

Do you as a leader at summer camp use the buddy system?

It is very common to see leaders and staff on the trail alone.

We typically only have two leaders at summer camp with 12-15 boys. Typically program areas are not shown during orientation and there is no time before dark to make sure new scouts know where the program areas are. What do you do when all scouts are off to their first merit badge class Monday morning and three or four don't know how to get to the "Nature Center", and another couple of boys don't know how to get to "Leatherworking"; and you or your co-leader need to get to the Scoutmaster's meeting all at the same time?

You will usually find our two leaders going separate directions in that case and meeting up later. Which means finding us alone without a buddy!

ASM59

We certainly don't apply the buddy system to adults at summer camp, and based on the number of adults wandering around, most other troops don't seem to, either. And at our summer camp, there's really no way for us to have the boys follow it during the day, either, since the Scouts all go off to different merit badge schedules.

Oak Tree

I never ask another person, youth or adult to do something that i am not willing to do myself. Lead by example is vital in life and scouting. Last weekend,while on a trip i wanted to check out a lean-to that was only 50 yards from our campsite, but i took along some scouts. At summer camp we have our boys in the buddy system as in every scouting activity, and I as an adult follow our own rules.

At our summer camp, you see single Scouts & leaders roaming around all the time. Should we follow the buddy system? Yep. Is it always possible at summer camp? No. There are times Scouts go their different ways because of scheduling & have no one to go with them. I know when we as leaders go out to check with the MB counselors, we go our own way. And I really don't see anything wrong with this.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

At summer camp we request our boys use the buddy system as much as possible - if you are going to a merit badge area that no one else is attending, go with your buddy as far as possible and pick him up again at the end. As for adults, we have had a few "bad" experiences with scouts in our campsite with no adult supervision, but try to do it elsewhere if possible.

We also encourage the boys to keep the buddy system in mind when scheduling their sessions. We insist that first year scouts always have a buddy, no matter what. We find that most scouts, especially younger ones, will sacrifice their personal MB preference in order to be with their friend. So you'll see conversations like "I'll take nature with you if you take sports with me". I think that's great.

Where it doesn't work out and a scout is in a class alone, we make sure he knows where to pick his buddy back up. Usually, it works out where there is someone else in the same area (Nature lodge, scoutcraft, etc.) that he can "ride along with".

Adults don't follow the buddy system, but some of them should. :)