The same thing happened in the 1960s; there were 5 years between the 1964 and 1969 Jamboree. The reason for this was that America hosted the World Jamboree in 1967, and the BSA needed two years between events.

Earlier posts have mentioned the 2007 World Jamboree, which is certainly a consideration. It will be held during the 100th anniversary of Baden-Powell's Brownsea Island experiment, in late July and early August.

To sign up for more information, here is the web-site:

http://www.scouting2007.org/english/register.php

I would assume that, within the next 6 months, the BSA will announce plans for its American contingent (how many troops, pre-jamboree training, cost, etc.)

jam

1. According to the related Scouter.com post http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=94200 , visitors ARE allowed at the 2005 National Jamboree. Here's what Eamonn says:

"Visitors

Every day, beginning Wednesday, July 27, and continuing through Tuesday, August 2, the jamboree will be open to visitors. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors will be permitted to stay until 11 p.m. only to attend the arena shows on July 27 and 31.

On entering the jamboree site, guests will be directed to the public information tent in the main parking lot. There they will receive directions to regions, subcamps, or activity areas

This was in the Troop Leader Guide Book, and is what I have told all our parents.

Today I received the May-June 2005 Scouting Magazine, in News Briefs it states:

Plan to visit between Tuesday July 26 and Tuesday Aug 2, 2005."

2. I went to the 1973 National Jamboree-East in Moraine State Park, PA. Together with the other one held that year in Farragut State Park, ID, we had THE BIGGEST BSA National Jamboree ever. I highly recommend going, if there's some possible way. I'm sure there were "Vistors," since the place was PACKED.

(This message has been edited by dluders)