the future- Webelos to Scout

One alert reader wrote, "The Cub, Webelos and Boy Scout programs have been patched and bandaged over and over and over. I think it is about time for a general overhaul, similar to but hopefully better planned than that in the mid-70's. Easier paperwork, streamlined training, more adult leader-friendly environment, better pack-troop integration, etc."

The Webelos to Scout transition has always been a problem. I think it has to do with the leveling effect brought on by age and additional quality programs. The graph for Scouting in the population from ages 11 to 18 looks a little like a triangle with the point to the sky. As kids age, fewer kids choose Scouting because more opportunities, sports, band, cars, girls, etc. are available, so the population decreases for Scouting.

The easiest answer would be to say that better training is needed so that more leaders would provide quality programs for Scouts of all ages. I am not sure that would do it but it might be a start. Many people write that when they returned to Scouting as adults that they viewed themselves as a First Class, Star, Life, etc. Scout. It might be that they are relating to Eagles that say that they are always Eagle Scouts. It might be that somehow they are stuck in time and are reluctant to move on with their life because of a failure to reach a goal. It may be that they truly desired to be Eagle and just cannot get over it. The desire might be that strong. Maybe we should do with the Eagle rank what was done with the First Class badge. Make a program to achieve Eagle in two years. This allows a kid to come roaring into the program at 11 years of age get First Class and then push right on into Eagle at age 13. The Scout could get out of Scouting at that time and enter any number of other programs as the desire of so many has shown in the past. This would make the young person happy, his parents proud, and the SM feeling like he/she has done their job.

I would like to hear from other readers what they feel could be an answer to this age old problem.

FB

I bet no one will like my solutions, but...

I think part of the problem is that the programs are so fragmented there are few common threads between them. You see it in some of the oddest ways- Boy Scout leaders vaguely look down on the more 'frivolous' Cub leaders. Troops seem to think that packs 'owe' them new blood. The programs do not share hardly any commonality in the boy's level- no common promise, motto, slogan, sign, shake, salute, etc. You functionally quit Scouts as a Cub to rejoin (maybe) as a Scout- and the tricky stuff in the crossover packet really does not camoflague this well.

We ask Scouts to be happy with crafts and activities for a few years, then suddenly expect them to want to go hiking and camping- when some of them were perfectly HAPPY doing the Cub Scout stuff and don't particularly LIKE camping, etc. (my own son HATES swimming, and that stopped him cold in Scouting.)

So, I would...

1.) Make us all one big happy family with the same Promise/Oath (streamlined for younger Scouts), Sign, Salute, Shake, Motto, etc. Uniforms would become similar using the shoulder tabs and belts to distinguish programs.

2.) Unite the pack, troop, crew, and post under one Chartering Org.'s name as one big family- all using the same neckerchief (assigned by the CO because it has meaning to it). Encourage inter-unit programs, like Scouting Birthday/Blue and Gold, service projects, recruiting efforts, camping/day outing, etc. (Note- this does not mean to share EVERYTHING- each unit needs an identity of its own)

3.) Modify training to shorten it and get it to volunteers faster. I favor a 'study at home, mail in quiz' sort of program provided right away combined with a sort of 'new leader's tea/training' at Roundtable. Did you know that if you do it the BSA way, you need something like 90 hours of training for your first couple years? That works out to about an hour of training for every 3-4 hours of actual unit meetings.

4.) Modify the paperwork so you join the BSA once, period. A simple piece of paperwork for info changes, and a simple sheet for interunit transfers, and that should be about it.

5.) Turn down the financial load on members- Scouts, families, and Scouters. Unforms, books, dues, fees... `even with fundraising, it all adds up quick. Books are a good example. Even though they are quite well done and very reasonably priced, why can't the average Scout make it with just a pocket-sized booklet to outline the requirments and record the achievements? Why can't the uniforms be diesigned for camping so we don't need 'class B's' or 'activity' uniforms? (I always thought that was really weird- this is supposed to be an activity based program, yet the MAIN uniform is designed for meetings!)

6.) Re-emphasise First Class. Years ago- it was a GREAT acheivement to make First Class- you were quite proud of all the stuff you had to do for it- some of which was tough for the average kid (signalling was my weakness!) Now- you can hit First Class after a couple campouts. Whoopee. Focus on making Eagle too easy and you cheapen it. Make an intermediate rank a bigger prize, then use the others for incentive for the really dedicated.

I think the BSA blew it with the 'First Class in the first year' emphasis. By claiming that kids who hit first class early stayed in longer, I think they missed the REAL connection that units with strong programs keep Scouts longer.

7.) Eliminate Webelos. We have NEVER made it work well and consistantly. Reintroduce Lion (Panther?) and keep the kids solidly in the Cubs... but make the requirements more Pre-Scout. I think the 'half way orphan' feel of the program is a big problem. Older Cubs need to strut a bit and show off their rank, but not by half-way quitting the pack. I'd also make Lion/Panther a more Scout-like badge to earn. Earn it individually, no arrow points, etc.

I'm going to quite here. I can go on with ideas for overhauling Cub advancement (skill awards and merit badges- I think they'd work to replace arrow points, etc.) and so on, but this should be a start!

"Did you know that if you do it the BSA way, you need something like 90 hours of training for your first couple years? That works out to about an hour of training for every 3-4 hours of actual unit meetings."

A trained leader needs Fast Start, New Leader Essentials, position specific. Add youth protection, maybe safe swim defense and safety afloat. Maybe add BALOO for cub leaders. That all adds up to about 15 hours max. What other trainings are you thinking of that add up to 90 hours??

"A trained leader needs Fast Start, New Leader Essentials, position specific. Add youth protection, maybe safe swim defense and safety afloat. Maybe add BALOO for cub leaders. That all adds up to about 15 hours max. What other trainings are you thinking of that add up to 90 hours??" (FScouter)

The continuing ed topics in the Cub Leaders Book (my edition, at least)~6 to 24 hrs, Pow-Wow/University of Scouting 16 hrs, Roundtable (even though it is a Commish function, it is still primarily a training program in our district) ~24 hrs. Add in additional training since most leaders serve two roles over two years and we are in the 50-70 hour range over two years...

...and for the life of me, I cannot remember what else was on that sheet! Some trainers and I were sitting around a few years back talking about this issue and listed the time committment of the average Cub leader in our neck of the woods.

Now that I am being challenged on it, I have to admit that I seem to be mis-remembering the totals or something, but I woulda swore the ratios were about right.

I apologize and modify the phrase to 'about 40-50 hours of training over two years, not all of it required'. OK?

I like the idea of putting Troops and Packs on the same charter if they both have the same CO. It just seems natural to me. Both could use the same neckerchief. It is important for Troops and Packs to work more closely together to get scouts to make a more natural transition from the Troop to the Pack.

Even if units are not linked on the same charter it must they must be encouraged to cooperate more.

I also like the idea of ending the First Class/First year. I see too many scouts being rushed to First Class without knowing what they should know in my opinion. It should be made more of achievement.

Just my thoughts.

Some real good suggestions posted here on this topic. As a former Webelos leader myself I made sure my boys had an ongoing relationship with a troop, including participating in a few outdoor activities. In addition my second year Webelos received skill training that would permit them to get to Tenderfoot in the minimal time and make the transition to a troop very naturally. Of the ten Webelos scouts I worked with all ten went into a troop and made at least 1st Class, five of them went on to make Eagle. So I think finding some well trained SM's and well run troops, and allowing some interaction between the Webelos and the troop brings much better transition, rather than a choppy termination of one program and letting the boys go off on their own to find a troop, a formula for failure.