Where do you get your sylabius for running a troop JLT program? I have been "trained" with the same one for 4 years now, and practicly know the thing be heart. Where could I go to find a new one?

There's only one "official" curriculum, although it does have some options built in it in order to add some variety/customization. Beyond that, you really have to develop your own. That's what I've done. I adjust it each year to reflect what we need to focus on, and to bring in some different games and activities. There are several websites, if you do a search on it. I've got some book marked. If you send me a PM, I'll send you some more info.

What you need is the Scoutmaster's Junior Leader Training Kit. There is a paper portion that fits in a 3 ring binder and there is a video. This should contain what you need to get started, though you will have to figure parts of it out on your own.

Proud Eagle, I think that's what meamemg is referring to -- the standard BSA curriculum from the SM Junior Leader's Training Kit. The options are only minor variations, such as changing the activities between sessions. Other than that, it's the same JLT we've been doing for 15 years at least.

I, too, have developed my own. It's based on the SPL and PL handbooks, gets the Green Bars into the books during training, and we use different activities, too.

I had the same problem many others have had: after a Scout has a few years' experience, he's been through TJLT several times and is getting realllly bored with it.

KS

Thanks for your replies. We have been useing an unofficial one up until now, so I will suggest to my scoutmaster that he picks up the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Kit. That seems to be what I want.

Thanks to the super suggestions and websites suggested by EagleInKY, our troop had a fun, successful JLT this weekend. We actually planned to use the video, however, due to 'adult' miscommunication, it was not packed. After traveling through a blinding thunderstorm Friday night to get to our campsite, arriving after dark, setting up tents in the rain, realizing we did not have the video did not make me, the trainer, a happy camper. We really had no "plan B" so I was determined to conduct the training over the weekend.

After much improvisation and reliance on the many leadership courses I had attended and the one JLT conducted with the video and ALL the info retrieved from the knowledgeable ones on this site, we forged ahead and had a great weekend. The boys had a blast with the new games and I was so proud of my younger scouts...they actually pulled together better than the older ones, some of whom are really into being teenagers. Now, if I can just get all of them to understand that the "Big Boss" leadership style is not one they should personally adopt!

Lesson learned: If you're burned out on the video, create your own JLT. It's fun!

Lesson learned: If you think there's a possibility you might not do the potato game, don't buy the potatoes. They're on our dinner menu for the next 2 weeks!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD AND MADE MY JOB EASIER!