The troop that I grew up in had a tradition/policy about one Scout saluting another twice in their Scouting carrer. The first was when they became a Scout, the second was when their mother pinned their Eagle medal on their shirt.

Now my old Scoutmaster was a pretty by the book kind of guy, but I have not found that written down anywhere. I have been to many Eagle COHs in various troops and some salute, others do not. Never outside of my old troop have I seen a new Scout saluted.

I figure if any group would know about this, you all would. Thanks for your answers.

Page 7 of the Boy Scout Handbook

"The scout salute shows respect. Use it to salute the flag of the United States of America. You may also salute a Scout leader or another Scout."

So while it is not a standardized practice to alute on the two occasions you mentioned, there is nothing that restricts you from doing so.

You will find the answers to most scouting questions in the Boy Scout Handbook or other official resources of the BSA.

BW

The only time I have ever seen a Scout salute another Scout is as part of "reports" during an opening ceremony. In my son's troop, immediately after the opening flag ceremony, the SPL calls on each patrol leader in turn, and the PL takes 1 step forward, says the number of members present, salutes the SPL, who returns the salute, and the PL steps back. The last "patrol" to report is the "Old Goat Patrol," at which time the SM reports to and salutes the SPL, which in my opinion is good "symbolism" for the SPL's role in the troop meeting. (When I was a Scout we did exactly the same thing, minus the "adult patrol.") When I was a Scout, some summer camps had the same thing during daily opening ceremonies, where the SPL's would "report" to the camp director on behalf of each troop, and my recollection is that saluting was done there as well.

Like the traditions that BSAChaplain is talking about, there is nothing in the "book" that says you can't do it or that you must do it, it is just a matter of unit tradition. A local option, you might call it.