Greetings!

I am an ASM in northwest Montana. I have been with my Troop here for a few years now and have worked for two different SM's in this Troop. I also served as SM for a different Troop for a while until I moved out of the area.

I have been in and out of Scouting for some time as an adult, and as a youth I served as camp staff for three years, earned my Eagle and Brotherhood OA.

I'll be moving to southern Arizona next year, and would really like to learn more about the area and the Scouting program there.

I hope to be able to be a contribution to this forum as well as learn myself (ALWAYS more to learn!).

Rob

Hi Rob and Welcome,

A move from Montana to Arizona, sounds like one heck of a move, but so far I have yet to visit Montana. It is on my list but I think it will have to wait till I retire.

I love driving through Arizona, the light is just wonderful and makes me wish I was a more capable photographer, which I'm not.

The forum is a great place to exchange ideas.

A little heated at times, but for the most part a good alternative to watching the junk that is on the telly.

Eamonn.

I have been in and out for years, I am really just starting to have fun, but with the move looming next spring...but hey, something familiar can make the transition easier!

Rob

Temperature is no problem; the humidity is what gets you. My cousin recently left a very arid part of AZ for a very humid part of TX. You'll just have to adjust to a new environment. Of course, I expect you are prepared, being a good scout ...

Hi Rob,

Welcome to this campfire. You should get some good food for thought here though sometimes a log rolls and ashes get mixed in the sauce.

I think you may really like AZ. I moved to Phoenix from Seattle close to 23 years ago. I do like it here but there will always be something special about the Pacific Northwest to me. As Eamonn said, the lighting here is great. One time driving across NW AZ the whole sky was pink from the painted desert reflecting off the thin clouds. It was truly beautiful.

AZ has quite a diverse ecology. There are mountains and deserts and everything in between. The largest stand of Ponderosa Pine in the world stretches across the rim country into New Mexico. There is quite a variety of big game to hunt: White tail deer, Mule deer, Rocky Mt. Elk, Mt. Lion, Big Horn Sheep, Bison, Javelina, and Black Bear. There is a lot of small game too, e.g., fox, coyote, turkey. Let's not forget the great trout fishing in the White Mts. and on and on. There is great camping and hiking here for the scouts.

There are two councils in AZ, Tucson and it's surrounding area is served by Catalina Council (http://www.catalinacouncil.org/districts.html) and the rest of AZ is served by Grand Canyon Council (http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/).

SWScouter