Here we go.

A troop of 30,now down to 4.Old SM ran troop like Adolph.

I've taken all my training SM,etc. New SM has none. is signed up for wood badge,without taking any other training. He has canceled 2 meetings,without letting me know. We have MBU this weekend,I feel we should have had a meeting tonight to go over who needs what.

We have boys going to MBU in their blue shirts.(Our Crossover is Thurs. MBU is Saturday.

There has been no inventory of the scoutbarn. All the tents are still out from last fall.(new SM wont give me a key,to do inventory)

How do I get him to delegate?

Do you have a Unit Comissioner ? He might offer to sit down with you, the CC, and the SM to discuss the Troop program, where you want it to go, and how to map the trip out. Been there......a frustrating situation, talk, talk,and more talk may bring the SM around. And strongly encourage him to take BLT, ASAP.

G5(This message has been edited by Greeneagle5)

I would say that you have joined a unit that isn't going to make it.

A Scout Troop needs people who care. One person just can't do it.

I don't see how you can assist the Scoutmaster, when he doesn't even tell you what is going on.

If I were the parent of one of the little fellows crossing over I sure as heck would talk my kid out of joining this outfit!!

It sounds like you are flogging a dead horse. Get out now.

Eamonn.

Sounds like your new SM might have bit off more than he can chew. I would give the SM a call and talk to him. If you can't talk to him how will you be able to work with him?

If you don't feel comfortable with that, give your Committee Chair a call & have your CC talk to him. Someone needs to start communicating with him NOW.

BTW - Just a side note, your SM might have put his name on the waiting list for woodbadge, but until he completes his basic training, including outdoor skills, he is not eligible to attend.

nutz,

I would suggest that you and the new SM go out for a nice long lunch to discuss your program and how the two of you, working as a team, can resurrect this troop. With only four boys, I would suspect there is not a whole lot for a SM/ASM to do from an operations point of view. I think there needs to be some strategic visioning in this situation (more so than tracking down tents). Good luck.

Semper is right.

I started my troop with only 5 and after 6 months we are up to 10/11 scouts...all but 2 are brand new to scouting.

Growth will come when a solid program forms. If you had Hitler before, try returning power back to where it belongs (power as in what the troop does) - in the hands of the youth.

If you have been to the training, you know the spill ..."youth run". Having a small # like 4, will allow you and the new SM to 1) get on the same page with a vision of where you want to go and 2) enable you to implement things that the other SM deprived the troop from.

Talk to the SM, you 2 get on the same page. Then you 2 talk to the boys, let them know your vision and let them be the ones to run the show.

It works.....

Our district chairperson was there last night,with me, when there was no meeting.

This is twice now,that he has canceled,& not informed me. He also does alot with baseball in the summer. I'm just wondering if he is going to be canceling meetings all summer,too. This SM doesn't even know to have the pledge of allegiance,much less the middle & the end.

I'd say talk with your DE and COR and have a coup-de-tat. Talk to the other two remaining parents and work out a solution to start a new troop within a troop. The situation seems dired and resurecting a dead horse takes a lot more energy and emotional impact. As Eamonn pointed out, punt! I would if there is not another troop nearby.

1Hour

I live in a small town(1,700) Only 1 troop here. It's only 17 miles to a town that really needs help,but I dont want to seem like I'm abandoning my post.I did receive my copy of "Follow Me,Boys" today,& I really feel alot better about things. And lets not forget this website. THANK YOU,ALL for your advice.

Nutz

There are times when we all wish life was like a movie, sad to report it's not. Follow Me Boys,is very entertaining but has much to do with Scouts and Scouting as The Nutty Professor has.

You say "I don't want to seem like I'm abandoning my post."What post would that be?

Assistant to a Scoutmaster that doesn't turn up for meetings?

As I see it you have 4 choices:

1/ Stay home watch your movie and complain when the meetings are not happening.The Troop is not going to last very long and your training will have been for nothing.

2/ Talk to the COR Troop Committee Chair. about removing the no-show SM.

3/ Change Troops.

4/ Talk to the DE or the District Membership Chair. about starting a real and new Boy Scout Troop in your area.

You need to make the choice.

Eamonn

Well, I talked to him. Asked him if he had any problems with me,at all. He said no. I told him a scout is honest. He still said no. He said he wants to take things slow. I told him he had to at least take his training. He is signed up for wood badge,but hasnt taken SM,or new leader.(Ibelieve that disqualifies him) but I asked him to please delegate & communicate. Nothing more I feel I can do,but thank you to all who replied.

Nutz