Let us not confuse traditional card games with these other games.

Games like Magic, etc, are sometimes referred to as collectible card games. This is because a good deal of the abilities of each player is based on how well they were able to go out and buy or trade for newer, rarer, and better cards. Many of the players of these games do get a bit obsessed. Also, many place a very high value on their cards. It is virtually impossible for a new player to become immediately competitive at these games (unlike many other card games that can easily be learned in a night). For starters each player must have their own deck (or be loaned one). The player also needs to be very familiar with the deck they are playing with (making the use of a borrowed deck a serious handicap, unless everyone swaps decks or something). Now, are these reasons to ban collectible card games? I don't really know. I don't think I would ban them, though I personally don't like them. There are certain things many younger people are into these days that I strongly dislike, YuGiOh and Pokemon are on that list.

I say let them use them, just let it be known that you expect them to be responsible for their own cards and be willing to try to explain the game to others that are interested in learning.

(I once tried to explain Axis and Allies to some people at summer camp, that was an interesting experience.)

Proud Bird is right about the obsessive nature of these cars. I have been toying with the idea of ban in our pack, but would never institute it without first consulting the CC and DLs. Our problem is that a couple of boys bring them to den meetings and they become a distraction for these one or two boys. And if they can't find them or see someone touching them without their permission, it can get very exciting.

I like card games but they should be kept to a specific part of the meeting if at all, and only in moderation. Outdoors, hey let 'em go wild.

These cards are not allowed on camping trips with our troop. After being told this one boy brought his. The SM took them and held them for almost a month. When the mother came and ask for them back she was told that her son could get them back by coming to him and requesting them and they would then have a talk about bringing things to camp that have been banned.

We haven't had a problem since.

The main reason for these card collections being banned from camp is the fact that some of these cards are valuable. If one gets taken then a scout is upset. Yes I know that one law is "a scout is honest" But we all know that things disappear. Also at campouts it can really rain and it simply isn't the place for this type of collection.

Not to disrespect, but to disagree - I think we're well-served to honestly evaluate the reasoning behind such item-banning decisions. IMHO, when we set rules like these, we might really be:

1) Legislating personal responsibility - which I don't think is our role. Though, I'm guessing the bigger issue is the "calamity" of lost cards - we don't want to be involved. Kids and parents should decide what the boy brings to an activity. Obviously, Packs and Troops have rules, and there are banned items - usually rules established with good reasons, but the logic behind banning cards, any cards, seems faulty (assuming there's planned downtime). Kids who play these games don't need to bring their best cards to play - like baseball cards, there are doubles, doubles and more doubles in the collection of every player. If you've planned downtime, then I would see cards, any cards, as a traditional downtime filler.

2) Compensating for our inability to maintain the Cubs cooperative attention and active participation in the face of such a strong distractor. We need to evaluate the environment, and the agenda, if these cards are coming out during organized activities.

The idea of the SM not giving the cards to the mother floors me! I can't believe that is seen as appropriate. There are teachable moments, but the parent is learning a lesson that I don't think we want to teach.

I hope that was respectful enough, I definitely didn't mean any insult.

jd

I don't think some of you really understand these games.

I have a set of about 300 Magic cards (1st "Alpha" edition I bought in 1993). Some of the individual cards I have are selling for $70 or more on ebay. There are other, more powerful, cards that commonly sell for hundreds, if not a thousand dollars.

While it is all well and good for us to expect boys to be responsible, it is also more expected that adults are responsible, especially for preventing the preventable. There is simply no good reason to have this type of card at camp. Rather than focus on whether or not the cards detract from the camp experience, how about evaluating things based upon what they add. Traditional card games are good for reinforcing math skills and such. The 'strategy' for Magic is to have enough money to build a good deck and have enough luck to keep it intact. Obviously, I don't have a problem personally with the cards, but I could understand how some people would see the occult in them. It is more than the wishes of the CO, though they are important. What about the wishes of parents not wanting their boys exposed to the supposed occult influences. Again, unless something adds to the camping experience, it detracts from it.

Boys without their own deck cannot really play. The games are usually played for cards (rather like racing for pink slips given the values). This excludes some boys from the fun. It that really what we want?

I liked the idea of getting the PLC involved to make the call, but I would rather see it addressed in more general terms rather than singling out certain objects. High value items have no place in camp (or school) especially if they are easily concealed. Teach the boys to pack light and cheap. The Troop can have a few decks of standard playing cards (or other games) with the Troop equipment and that eliminates the need for boys to pack along any other cards.

The cards were given back but to the Boy Scout. When the mother ask about the cards she was told that the SM did have them and as soon as the scout came to him and ask for them they would be returned. This scout has been in the troop 3 years so he knows what the rules are. The troop has a list of things that are not allowed on our camp trips. Each and every boy has a copy of that list.

We don't allow a parent to request a blue card for a boy it was the BOYS responsibility to get the cards. The SM gave them back to the boy as soon as HE ask for them.

This weekend we camped and did a map and compass time trials. After the boys went to bed I was walking camp. Guess what I heard as I walked by all but one tent. Boys were talking map and compass. They do bring games. This weekend we had three chess boards, a cribbage board and some dominos. They never even came out.

So like I have said before, If you have a good program plan and are teaching what should be taught you boys won't have time for cards.

Kevin my foster gets 12 hours of TV a week. He has to pick and choose what is really important to him to use that time. Guess what he seldom used all of his time. We do board games. We read do word search games. He read 6 books last month.

If you give kids things that challenge them they will begin to challenge themselves. If you allow them to "simply hang" then that is what they will want to do.