Senior Patrol Leader and Scout Master Clash

I am a "retired" scout master and I have noticed that the scout master who took over after I left is very controlling, and will not let the SPL do his job like planning meeting and outings,also the SPL has spoken with me severl time about how fustrated he is and how by being SPL is not fun anymore and wants to resign or even worse quit! Any ideas to how the SPL or myself can correct this problem?

First, do you currently have a position with the troop? What is your relationship with the current SM? Does he seek your advice on anything? If that relationship is rocky and/or he does not seek your advice, I'd tread lightly. If he does, I'd speak to him in confidence.

Actually, this can be turned into a learning experience for the SPL if played right. Does the SM plan meetings? Does the SM plan outings or take over the annual planning conference? Have the SPL familiarize himself with the SPL handbook, BS Handbook, etc. and have him discuss with his SM what he feels his role is and what it should be (in a very non-confrontational, non-accusatorial manner).

It none of that works SEND THAT SPL MY WAY!!! :)

I'm too busy trying to find ways to get the SPL/PLs to do their job!

I would suggest that the SPL request a conference with the SM in order to share his concerns. He may want to also invite the ASPL and an ASM that may be sympathetic to his plight. As a new SM, he may be showing 'controlling' tendencies because he lacks the necessary training, is trying to get his own arms around the program first, and/or is unfamiliar with the SPL's capabilities (or, it could just be that he is a control freak). The SPL should come to the conference well prepared to present his case, including expectations from his SPL handbook, his goals and plans during his tenure and troop meeting/campout agendas that he is ready to implement over the next couple of months. While it should not be necessary, in this case I think the SPL needs to 'wow' the new SM a little so that he will back off.

It also sounds like a good time for a Troop JLT course. Maybe you can even offer to come out of 'retirement' to help the PLC put it together. Many times, the adults that attend JLT (your SM) learn more about the program then the scouts and can certainly see firsthand the capabilities of the junior leadership.

If these initiatives seem to go nowhere and the SM still insists on 'running the whole show', then the SPL should consider discussing with the CC. Likewise, other concerned adults in the troop could raise the issue at committee meetings.

As the 'retired' SM, I would advise against you becoming too involved. You do not want to appear to undermine the new SM's authority.

I'd suggest as well that your role be minimal at best. You are no longer the Scoutmaster of the troop and it's operation is now out of your control.

My suggestion would be that the SPL plan the next meeting/outing and that he arrange a time to present the plan to the Scoutmaster well in advance. He should approve him by saying, "Mr. X, I've got a plan for our next outing. Can we go over it together to make sure I haven't missed anything?"

The SPL should then be able to get buy in from the Scoumaster and go from there.

As a "retired" Scoutmaster myself, I can tell you that taking that leap of faith for boy leadership is the hardest baptisim of fire I ever took in Scouting. You don't know me, but that's a strong statement. I've had several "baptisms of fire."

Unc.

Change takes time and feelings are held in reserve for just such an occurrence, as well as, the knowledge of your/correct way of doing things. You can now be the doorway for that change or the wall to prevent it. The SPL confided in you about those changes. I doubt he confided his woes to the new SM or used the mechanisms of the process. The SPL still sees you as the real leader, the person with the answers. He is telling you that he misses you. He may also be identifying with your action of quitting or leaving, even if it is justifiable. Since he came to you, you must still be available but unable to spend the necessary time to run the Troop. You may be able to help him understand better the reasons that you left and let him know that you believe in the Scouting program.

It is no longer your duty to run the Troop. The SPL has his duty to represent the group in planning the program. If you were doing other things according to scripture, then there is a committee of parents that supervises the SM and supports the boys in the program. They have a duty. You must of had ASM's that may be parents of some of the boys that also know the program and are sensitive to the needs of the boys. They have a duty. The PL's should be representing their Scouts in the planning process and they have expectations. If you had a boy run Troop when you left, then all of the things are still in place for that to happen.

In a boy run Troop, the SM is a cog not the wheel.

If the present SM has decided to use an authoritative approach to management, then the best counter is to establish routes of communication. The Communication Routes that I am referring to should be open, within the unit and inclusive. The SPL, Committee, ASMs, and the PL's should use this approach instead of quitting or being quiet. He needs to understand the Law, Brave and he needs to use the Skills of Leadership that you most likely taught him. He needs to trust in those skills. Change takes time and if the boy lead program is to be maintained it will take a group action using the skills they have learned. Hopefully, that is the legacy that you left to the group and it can be trusted to work.

FB