Looking for a bugle? How about a *bugler*?

Cheffy is looking for a bugle. A bugle!

I wish our troop could find someone to blow the darn thing!

How many troops these days actually have a bugler who does calls morning, noon, and night while on campouts?

(I usta be a bugler)

We have two scouts that are very good. The current bugler...not so good but he is trying. I tried blowing the darn thing one time and had a little accident - lets just say noise was coming out of both ends. I can certainly understand the difficulty that scouts may have.

I have to oadmit that our bugler isn't the greatest but is working on it. He started with a trumpet that he already played and we are in the process of getting a bugle. We started him off slow, making sure he could blow Taps. For the morning "wake up call" he played his school fight song until he learned reville. At camporees it seems that other troops play their local fight song also so it's now a challenge to see who gets up first to start the show.

Twocubdad -

Your post brought back memories of Jamboree 1997. The troop in the next campsite had a bagpiper who would play Reveille every morning on the bagpipes. Unfortunately he was an early riser, and it was about an hour before we were supposed to be up! That got old really fast. The last night he did play the National Anthem which was really beautiful and kind of haunting played on the pipes.

We had an "acting" unofficial bugler in our CIT unit up at Camp Ruby Lake. Ruby Lake was a fabulous camp on leased state property operated by the Greater Mpls GSC just outside Bovey, MN. Across the lake was a BSA camp. No contact with them other than occasionally seeing their canoes out at the other end of the lake. They had a bugler that played taps each night. Well, it evolved over the summer, that our bugler and their bugler began performing taps each evening echoing line by line. Pretty neat :)

I too used to be a bugler (as well as the SPL and Quartermaster for my (small) troop!)

Out troop used to form up for Retreat at the small Army post we were at up in Alaska once a month. Trying to keep your mouthpiec warm at 40 below in the middle of the winter is a chore!

Anyway, we have a Scout who tries his best in our Troop, although "Mr. Art" wants to grab the bugle and try and do it at times after the second or third sour note!

Lad needs to practice a tad more!

• 2 weeks later...