Some moments just make it all worth while! Even when wanting to run from it all.

I can relate to another post in another part of the forums: how do you know when it's time to let go? One unit has some issues that just seem to be spiraling out of control, and the calls come to me for help, and I advise or tell the callers who can help them out, but I don't take on the task myself. Instead, I want to run as far away from it all as possible!

Then another unit... Our older son is active in a troop that he just loves and that our younger son is very anxious to join too. Older son got an e-mail from his SM, asking him to attend a training session and then pass on what he learns to the troop. Our son jumped at the opportunity, saying he was "scared" of the responsibility but wanted to go for it. He was told he could my husband or I along, as we're both registered leaders in the troop, and at least one adult and one youth should attend. He was so funny: he knows I enjoy training, so he said he'd be willing to take me (which is funny because he's the passenger :)), but he would like to take Dad. The guys went. They came home with our son so excited. He practically shoved his pages of notes in my face (something he has NEVER done with his school notes!), and I found myself trying hard not to laugh. He had listed some resources and then crossed them out. I asked him why G2SS, Okpik, and Field Guide were crossed out. He said, "well, Mom, YOU have them--can't I borrow yours". So Mom is now a listed resource in several places! He then typed his notes, then tackled one reference, and he was showing me his typed notes. He's added some clip art, some cool fonts, stuff that gives eye appeal to his presentation. As he worked on this, he looked so happy and enthusiastic, and he was quite creative and careful. There is clearly a lot of thought going into this. The training was the cold weather training for the pilgrimage and encampment, and he received a training card. He wanted to know about a training patch and seemed just a little disappointed that there wasn't one for this. You know, THIS is when I see Scouting at its best. A boy is asked to do something that will help his troop (and him--he learned an awful lot today), and with a little uncertaintity he heads out to do what he can. I asked him why he was going if he was so nervous. He was going because his SM asked him to, and the look on his face showed how pleased he was that HE was asked. His task now is to get the info together; the troop has reserved two troop meetings just for cold weather training and has offered him help in doing this. Judging by the way he himself was surprised at his ability to do what he's done so far and the way he threw himself into it already, I have a feeling he'll surprise others too. Or maybe his SM saw something we just haven't seen yet. We love our son; we also live with him and that's just plain different from the troop dynamics. His SM is a good man, a quiet man with a sense of humor who never ever seems to be in too much of a hurry to listen to anyone yet he's always busy, and he is respected by the adults and boys because they know he is genuinely interested in them. It was a good day, a very good day, the kind that showed me how Scouting should work :)

[sorry for the ramble--I seem to have begun to repeat myself--but I tried to put my finger on just WHY this mattered so much--it's because I can see in this that our son is growing up--quite nicely at that--and his SM ans SAs and PLs are having a wonderful influence on him](This message has been edited by Laurie)

Glad to hear he's excited.

I'm currently working to get a Venture Patrol started in my troop. In fact, I was just doing some work on that stuff. I've been on the net contacting people left and right trying to gather information.

First thing I want to do is get First Aid training. So I'm working with the Red Cross (sort of, they stopped contacting me about it) and MESAR (Search and Rescue unit)

Guy from MESAR said they couldnt certify us, but would train us in more advanced first aid stuff.

Years back there was a TV show "The A Team" (Yes I know it wasn't on PBS!!) In every episode the A Team Leader, Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard) would say: "I love it when a plan comes together."

Best of Luck to the little fellow, tell Dad to take notes he will need them for when he goes to Wood Badge!!

Eamonn