Adults who cook (for scouts)

Well, I know how you feel. I am spl for my troop and i have had to deal with many situations many of which i would rather not. Telling some parents no is like telling a wall not to stand. They have been doing it for so long that they dont know any different. So, what we do is, sit the parents going on the trips down before the campout and state to them that it is best if they do not get to close to their son as the son will always fall back onto them. If the son approaches them for help, they are to direct them to either me, the spl or my assistant and one of us will guide them through it.

If we do see a parent cooking, i simply pull them aside and explain the situation to them and why they shouldnt be doing it and most of the time they agree and step back and i have someone else help. There are also those few parents that dont want to listen to the spl because they are still a kid so those parents i hand over to the scoutmaster. I mean i dont mind talking it our with them but im not sure if you would feel comfortable dealing with angry parents!

I hope this helps!

If you need anything else, pleasse feel free to send me a private message!

YIS,

Troop251scout