I know this is a Topic discussed a lot in a way.  I understand going to businesses to ask for donation can effect the council asking for donations.  My question is more for non businesses.  As troops would like to upgrade or replace troop equipment in their trailer that only belongs to the troop why could they not put out on Facebook or at events that they are looking for these items and if someone personally would donate them,  Would that be looked down upon if it is not does anyone have suggestions.  I ask this question because my sons troop is in a small community.  Doing pancake breakfast and things like that are not good as they usually bring in $100 or less.  I feel that you would be better to put a wish list out at Community events that you are volunteering at.  If I can get the camo fire's opinion I would appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Newschoolscoutdad said:

I know this is a Topic discussed a lot in a way.  I understand going to businesses to ask for donation can effect the council asking for donations.  My question is more for non businesses.  As troops would like to upgrade or replace troop equipment in their trailer that only belongs to the troop why could they not put out on Facebook or at events that they are looking for these items and if someone personally would donate them,  Would that be looked down upon if it is not does anyone have suggestions.  I ask this question because my sons troop is in a small community.  Doing pancake breakfast and things like that are not good as they usually bring in $100 or less.  I feel that you would be better to put a wish list out at Community events that you are volunteering at.  If I can get the camo fire's opinion I would appreciate it.

@Newschoolscoutdad, welcome!

That is a great idea!  But, since you would still be soliciting a donation, just ask for council approval...

Fill out the BSA Fundraising Application and send it in.  https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

Attach a short letter explaining what it is you want to do, and how you want to do it.  Give a ballpark figure for the value of the equipment you'll be asking for.  Set an end date for seeking the donations, and stick to it.  (You can take down that entry on Facebook or other platforms, right?)

Councils approve GoFundMe's for Eagle Projects all the time.  I don't see this as being much different.  You never get what you don't ask for, so ASK FOR IT!

And let us know what your council says!

Although... reading the application a bit more, it does say "At no time are units permitted to solicit contributions for unit programs."  So, that might be a hard "No."

Edited by InquisitiveScouter