Pack Merger - How To? - Ideas? - Tips?

Someone outlines the "official way" already I think.

I've always seen this go down much more casually.  When I was active on Pack committee we had 4 or 5 times that packs in the area "folded" and merged with us.

The money and gear belongs to the CO they were chartered with.  All but once, that was all just left behind. 

All a "merger" actually ended up being was families doing transfer applications to our unit.  Easy peezy.  No CO messiness.  But that meant leaving everything behind.

Only in one case did we receive any money and property and in that case I think it was more CO-to-CO as they are the real property owners.  It wasn't much.  A pinewood track, an old laptop.  That was CO giving stuff over to CO and then everyone did transfer apps. 

The old units simply didn't recharter.

One time a few years after one of these the pack we got "stuff" from was rechartered by the original CO and contacted us to see if they could pretty please have the pinewood track back and we were like "ABSOLUTLEY" lol.  We never needed two tracks and it was taking up so much room in our limited storage.  But it was a nice track and we were holding it until we heard of someone who needed one.  Worked out!

Anyway, I have seen this be just a mass migration event in which things kind of naturally sort themselves out on the "dissolution" end because the old unit simply does not recharter.  Unless there's a ton of money or property to deal with it should just be unit to unit transfer applications for the scouts really.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 10:27 AM, InquisitiveScouter said:

4.  THEN, contact your District Executive re same.  Expect some push back.  Council may not wish to "lose" units.  If you do not have the support of your CO's, then you will meet resistance.  

This part I hate - the DE's job shouldn't be number of units, it should be number of Scouts! A few well-run units is much better for the youth than a multitude of badly-run/tiny/dying units. It's better to keep the Scouts than lose everything, surely!

• Upvote 1