Kids Are Alright column ends after 1,522 columns over 30 years (Abilene, KS)

Excerpts from Kids Are Alright columnist Carl Kieke farewell:

Its purpose was to provide a spot in the newspaper for Eagle Scout and Girl Scout Gold Award recipients to be recognized. It quickly expanded to include any youth groups or individuals who were providing service to the community – showing that not all kids were troublemakers.

On Aug. 21, 2023, column No. 1,522 appeared. It is the final column in the series. Due to changes in the newspaper, the section is being discontinued.

I want to thank my readers over those 30 years. I would occasionally be met by someone who mentioned that they were readers of my column.

I have been active in the Boy Scout program since joining Boy Scout Troop 212 at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma, as an assistant scoutmaster. It quickly became my hobby of choice as I went through school in Sherman and Denton and finally arrived in Abilene in 1978 to begin work for the Reporter-News. Through the column I have become more familiar with Girl Scouts, 4-H and other youth programs.

I retired from the Reporter-News in 2007 but continued the column, first as a paid columnist, then as a labor of love. But times change. I’m not sure how many people actually read the column now, due to changes in the way people get their news in the 21st century.

I hope it has provided amusement, information and news. Perhaps various groups have been able to “steal” ideas and programs for their own use.  (:o...guilty)

Thank you for your readership.

Carl Kieke

Scout Salute! Your informative and kind columns will be missed.

Perhaps a display of his columns at the National Scout Museum or in the Journalism merit badge pamphlet.

More at source:

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/opinion/2023/08/27/kids-are-alright-column-ends-30-year-run-in-abilene-reporter-news/70642077007/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1