Annually for the past ten years, Troop 450 helps the nonprofit First Fruits Farm harvest produce that will be donated to battle against food insecurity.

First Fruits Farm was born in 1998 when the Bernstein family moved to a farm in northern Baltimore County. The idea was that they would plant and harvest their fields using a volunteer work force and donate the resulting fresh produce to organizations serving needy families and individuals in their community. 

“I know a lot of people that benefit from this, so it’s nice to know I’m helping out more people,” senior patrol leader Jonathan Davis said. “I know a lot of people that can benefit from service projects, and it just feels good to help the community.”

“[Nonprofits] give back,” patrol leader Grant Miller said. “You’re always consuming stuff, but you never really produce that much for other people. So, by going on service projects, you get to give back to your community and help other people.”

The troop has harvested many crops over its annual visits, and this year, members picked a patch of non-pickled peppers. After two and a half hours of working in the sun, the troop had filled dozens of crates with green peppers and baskets full of banana peppers.

“I liked it; it’s hard work, but it’s fun,” said Matthew Redmond, a first-class Scout. “I liked that I was helping people.”

Scout Salute,

More at source with harvest photos

https://www.severnaparkvoice.com/stories/serving-in-the-outdoors-troop-450-harvests-food-for-nonprofit-boy-scouts,64962?