Troop vs Scout - who wins

It appears that our Troop took a shovel a few years ago, and started digging....for what ??

I'm guessing "more fun" - the more "stimulating stuff" - for this generation -

That is why a "troop fun night" was created - like movies, mini golf, etc

That is why the Crew was fought for and created

that is why..... you get the idea - more, more, more -

but did it satisfy them...do they come - no no no !

Also, now that I see this trend in the above print -

it might just be a "generation" of the past 6 years of SM's and Scouts,

that have to pass thru our Troop to get a new and fresh start.

Now we find ourselves in a "hole" with a shovel - and no way out :) So - the question of "why" and the "boy run" digging is moot - however - the "boy run" is interesting, as at the last couple of PLC meetings, the SM runs them -

because (after this long digging over the past 6 years)

the boys never "learned" how to be leaders & develop a monthly

program

At this point - we are lost in the hole....

and looking for suggestions on how to climb back out -

Maybe the folks browsing this newsgroup never had the problem...

so it seems very foreign to them - but I see a lot of it -

ie - our District with 22 Troops held a Camporee - 10 (50%) showed up

there was competition in Scout skills - but only 5 troops competed (50%)

why ?

So - in closing - if you have a successful Troop with all age ranges,

what does your typical meeting, monthly planning, and outings look like

??

Not sure if the BSA pubs really cover this kind of stuff -

I just flipped thru the Resource guide & Program Features and randomly picked the "Cooking" weekly meeting planner.

New Scouts - work on tools care....

Experienced Scouts - work on dutch oven cooking

Older Scouts - work on Venture program or work with younger scouts...

Well.... the older scouts don't know how, or want to plan their activities,

and don't want to work teaching either :)

Maybe if we had a "topo map" of what has worked for you, we might be able to dig out -

I'm sorry but I don't really understand the question that you ask in your title?

I also can at times be really dense when it comes to shovels and holes.

The question about resources that will help with the planning of meetings is easy. The Resource guide & Program Features are good, maybe you only read the theme and need to look at the format of a troop meeting. Most Troop meetings will follow:

Pre opening Activity. A game of some sort that will follow the theme. This should last about about 15 -20 minutes.

Opening Ceremony. Normally something based on the Scout Oath an Law or the Flag. This should last about 3-5 minutes.

Skills Instruction. Again Based on the theme. should last about 20-25 minutes.

Patrol Meeting. This could be a patrol activity or time for planning what ever the patrol is doing next.

Inter-patrol Activity. Again based on the theme. This could be a game or a Quiz type activity. About 20 -25 Minutes

Closing. Scoutmaster's minute and some announcements from the SPL.

The monthly theme came about from the Annual planning meeting.

The meeting plan came from the monthly PLC meeting with short meetings after each meeting and before each Troop meetings. These before and after meetings are very informal. The After the troop meeting should be a review of what is happening next week and the before meeting could be just a "Hey guys, are you ready for tonights meeting?".

It is important that each and every part of the meeting is planned and we always had a backup activity just in case.

The program features are laid out thinking that the you have same age Patrols and that the troop has worked on First Class in 12 -18 months.

If this isn't the case you do need to look at making the meetings work for the Scouts,and the skills that they have.

If I were involved with the troop that you serve, things would be easy or easier if I held the Scoutmaster position, but even as an ASM or Committee member, I would see about calling a meeting of the leaders and the Troop Committee. At this meeting I would state the case that our Scouts lack skills and ask why?

From reading what you have posted it seems to me that somehow you think that these Lads who don't have the skills are at fault. This rarely if ever is the case. Scouts don't have skills because they were never taught them or they were taught them poorly and were never given the opportunity to use them. This could be because the leaders don't have the skills? Or there is no no control about who is signing off on requirements as being passed?

A well run, well organized New Scout Patrol would go a long way to eliminate a lot of these problems. Having all leaders attend all the parts of the Boy Scout Specific Training especially the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is a must.

I think that a Patrol going to see a movie or play miniature golf is a great idea, I wish more Patrols had meetings like this away from the troop.

However back to the troop meeting.

Boy led, is the hardest thing that Scoutmasters have to do. The Train Them, Trust Them. Let them lead, does start with Train them. This entails a lot more than sending a handful of Lads off to JLTC. The training and support is on going and except in very extraordinary circumstances is never ending. The Scoutmaster has the job of training the PLC.Some troops have the odd weekend away with the PLC, where they work on scouting skills,but the only real time for the SM and the PLC to get together is at the PLC meeting.

We have our meeting format, we now need to fill in the blanks.

The pre-opening Activity. Who is in charge? The SPL. He can delegate the running of it to an ASPL or a Patrol leader. What sort of activity will it be? I like an activity that allows the Scouts to get rid of some surplus energy, allows for people to arrive early and still be doing a planned activity.If you don't plan it soon every meeting will start with Dodge Ball!! If it fits in with the theme, that's great, but I went more for fun.

In the early days we gave the SPL books full of Scout games, but now with the Internet life is easy.Have your SPL take a look at:

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/direct/games/index.php?ID=97

There are a lot of ideas there. If possible try and play one at the PLC. The SM should do what he can to prompt the SPL to try new games and new ideas.

The Opening. Again the SPL is in charge. It can be very simple, but does need to be planned. I think that there is nothing worse than a half hearted recitation of the Scout Oath and Law. We have so much material available that has to do with the Flag and Citizenship, to just do the Scout Oath and Law every week takes away from the true meaning of the Oath and Law.

Skill Instruction.If the Patrol Leaders need help this can be done at the PLC meeting. The SPL informs the Patrol Leaders what skills they will be covering and where they will find the information that they need to cover that skill, if the SM knows that a Patrol Leader is not up to snuff on this he becomes a resource and works with that Patrol Leader or group to get them up to speed. In the case of the New Scout Patrol, the ASM or Guide will work with these Lads. If the skill is something brand new or is beyond the capabilities of the Patrol Leaders then the Leaders might want to work with the Patrols, in this case maybe a round robin might be an idea.

The Patrol Meeting. At this time the Patrols should work on Patrol stuff. It might be making something or preparing something. Or both. Making plans for the weekend activity needs to be covered, but Scouts can be assigned things to bring back to the next meeting, things like menus and equipment lists. These can be covered very quickly. A lot will depend on the age of the Scouts in the Patrol. They could work on making a knot board or preparing the route for a hike. The Patrol meeting is not "Free time". The SPL will need to drive that point home at each and every PLC meeting. The ASM'S along with the SM will need to support the PL's in keeping the Patrol on task and be ready to help if asked. If a Patrol is in over their head, the SM might ask the SPL if he thinks that the Bear Patrol is doing OK? The SPL might see that the Bears are not getting it. This is causing them to get frustrated and this in turn is leading up to some of the Patrol members messing around.

The Inter-Patrol Activity. This could be some sort of competition. Build a Sedan Chair and then have a race or they could have built the chair as part of the Patrol meeting. A Orienteering course that spells a word, the stuff that can be done is endless. Maybe in the early days you might want to ask a ASM too work with the SPL on Planning this depending on the activity he might or might not want to let the Patrol Leaders know what it is ahead of time.

The Closing. It is very important that a meeting has an opening and a closing. I found that announcements are a pain. These can be done by the Patrol Leaders at the Patrol meeting. They have all the information from the PLC meeting. A troop newsletter informs the parents. The Scoutmaster gets a minute and no more than three minutes.

The troop is dismissed and the Scoutmaster and PLC members meet for a quick reflection on the meeting that they just had. What worked and what didn't? SPL hands out the meeting plan for next week and makes sure that everyone knows what they are doing and when they are doing it. It is important that the plan is written down and that everyone knows that the SPL and the SM are available to answer any questions and will help. If everyone is a little lost there might be a meeting planned for during the week or everyone will arrive a little early next week.

Leadership is learned in lots of little steps. Sure we have some really good courses that cover what the skills are, and knowing what is required is a big step. Communication or the getting and giving of information needs to be practiced. It can be helped by adults telling Scouts "Did you ask your Patrol Leader?"

Understanding group needs and Characteristics can only be learned by working with the group.

Knowing and understanding group resources again only works when you work with a group /Patrol. The same goes for Controlling the group. Setting the example is on going as is sharing leadership,representing the group. Counseling and manager of learning can take a very long time to develop.Problem solving and evaluation can be practiced at each and every meeting. But there is no "Quick Fix."

As for the older Scouts not wanting to do stuff. If you are expecting these older Scouts to spend all their time teaching the younger Lads, it isn't going to happen. The promise we make to our Scouts (Look in the Scout Handbook) tells the Scouts about the outdoors and adventure, if you are expecting these Lads to spend all their time working with younger Scouts it is never going to happen.

Looking at other troops is really of no use. Each troop has different people, it could be the troop that doesn't camp do a lot of sailing or some other activity. The job of all the members of the troop you serve is to make the troop the best show in town.

Maybe you need to ease up a little bit, look at all the methods of Scouting don't just focus on Advancement. The older Scouts are not at fault,it could be that the troop has let them down. Boy led doesn't happen over night,the adults still have a very important role to play helping and supporting. We also need to allow the PLC members to do real jobs in order to learn leadership.

Eamonn.

1) TRAINING, TRAINING and MORE TRAINING. The BSA has a great training program on tape for use at the unit level. Also check with District/council for both adult and youth training. It's easier to follow the program when you understand the program.

2) Follow the program. At this point you may have to spoon feed the PLC their lines, but it's importent that you let them be the ones to say them.

3) Reward the effort. Saturday nights my PLC knows that after lights out we will have a quick meeting. If they have done their jobs so far they have good reason to expect a treat (RHIP as they say). Being member of the PLC also means special outings such as a day on my boat as a thank you for working with the younger kids.

4) Respect the PLC. Don't tell them they can run the troop and then just do it yourself. Too many SM's ask the boys if they want to do something and when the PLC says no they get upset and over rule them.

5) Have fun.