So I'm going to be a Unit Commissioner, maybe

Had a meeting on Saturday with a guy that I believe is an ADC.  Things are kind of confusing here.  Anyway, after 2 hours over lunch, I think we reached a conclusion.  Now to figure out the details - been radio silence since then.  I'm excited to be able to serve the Scouts while I'm away from home.  Some people think I'm crazy for doing the CC job for my pack remotely while also doing the commissioner job.  I don't have anything else to do in the evenings, beyond saying good night to my family over the phone.  Might as well get involved.  Any tips?  I've asked for a strong unit and a weak unit so that I can see what works around here and what doesn't.  

Attend some of their meetings and observe.  Ask questions.  Don't offer an assessment until you have attended several unit functions.

Walk a mile in the unit's shoes.  Go camping with them.

Be a white hat, not a black hat.

Find out if they filed a JTE last year.  See if you can get their history for the past few years.  Ask if they use JTE as a measurement tool.

I do not even know who our Unit Commissioner is (this week).  Don't be that guy.

5 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I do not even know who our Unit Commissioner is (this week).  Don't be that guy.

This is the driving force behind my offer.  My pack hasn't had a unit commissioner in the 2 years I've been there.  The district commissioner said she's our commissioner, but I've never seen her outside of round table.  I'm told that we aren't a priority because we have a strong, growing pack.  Frankly, I think our pack meetings suck compared to the things I read about.  It's unlikely to change because I'm not particularly good at being a showman, and neither is the guy replacing me as Cubmaster.  I'm basically a one-man show for them, so they will remain the same until someone else steps up.  

Sorry for the tangent, but those are my plans that you mentioned.  Lots of observing, assessing, learning about the community, charter org, etc.