The Boy Scout Application

So what information is contained in the first two pages -- the ones normally tossed aside and ignored by parents and Scouters alike -- of the Boy Scout Application?

I've got one in front of me and find several interesting things. These are often topics of discussion that come up in these forums that people say, "Hey, I didn't know."

They could have. Don't just toss those introductory pages.

On the cover (these things interst me and I'll confess I haven't used them all.)

There's a spot on the left side that reads, "I want to be a Scout. I have read the Scout Oath or Pomise and the Scout Law. As a Boy Scout, I will meet the obligations of living by the Scout Oath or Promise and will regularly attend all meetings and activities of my Scout troop."

Then there's a spot for the kid to sign it. Wouldn't it be great if we used that? The Scout Oath and Law are on that page for the prospective Scout to read as is the definition of the uniform.

I'd rather make shorter posts than longer, so the next post I write will describe page 2 of the application.

Unc.

Page 2 of the application:

Contains a temporary membership certificate (and buried in there, the information that you're supposed to present a membership certificate when you buy the uniform although few seem to require it.)

There is also the joining requirements as I mentioned previously. There are also instructions for the Scoutmaster "Scoutmaster. (1) Complete and sign form; (2) retain troop copy and forward the other copy to local council service center with proper fees; and (3) sign Temporary Membership Certicifact and present to member."

I think it's a very nice job on National's part that when you cut out the temporary membership certificate on page 2 and hand it to the Scout, you have also handed him a copy of the Scout Oath and Law.

Dang! Those guys have brains or luck, depending on your point of view ;)

Let's look at page 3 next.

Page 3 of the BSA Application

Welcomes the parents to the BSA and informs them that there are more than 4 million members

Has a paragraph about the BSA and the Cahrtered Organization -- what the responsibilities are.

Has a section on Scouting's Volunteers and You -- extolling parents to take part. It also describes, in a few sentences, what the purpose of the program is.

Then it goes into Program Policies. The following bullet points are listed and quoted here:

Bang! "Leadership is restricted to qualified adults who subscribe to the Declaration of Religious Principle, the Scout Oath, and the Scout Law.

Now on to Page 4

(BTW -- if this particular lecture is boring you, please click on your back button and return to your item of interest.)

I'm not trying to talk down to you, I'm trying to get you to show parents what's on the application they're signing. I'm almost done.

Unc.

Page 4

I won't retype all the bullet points here, but page 4 of the application outlines and expresses (I'll summarize)

Bang -- "partisan political activities are prohibited"

Bang -- pertains to military drill

Bang -- pertains to religious faith and non-secretarian

Bang -- two deep leadership

Bang -- corporal punishment (don't do it.)

Bang -- one on one activities not permited

Bang -- child abuse, what to do if suspected

Bang -- no secret organziations

Then we go into the Declaration of Religious Principle

Then the Policy of Nondiscrimination -- you must meet the BSA membership requirements and if you do, we have to let you in.

Then, Ethnic Codes. It explains that "BSA receives inquiries from various agencies regarding racial composition."

Ironically, the last paragraph of page 4 thanks the parent for taking the time to become familiar with the BSA. I think that's thanking them for reading the pages.

How many parents get the chance to read them? I can tell you that now that I've taken the time to study them, every parent I sign up will get the chance.

I'm guilty of just getting the job done and registering the kids. I've even thrown away the first two pieces of paper (4 pages) before the parent even touched them.

Unc.

Unc, I had to chuckle when I read this thread. Not because it's funny, but because of the reaction I got when I asked a couple of questions about the info on the app of the leadership when we enrolled our sons. I was asked, "you actually READ that? No one does." I didn't get the answers, not locally anyway, but I do now make a point of putting those pages into parents' hands and encouraging them to read them and feel free to ask me questions about them at any time. When the den leaders hand me apps after meetings or bring them to my home, I keep the pages and give them to parents at a later date--the next time I see them. Thanks for the reminder of how important these pages are.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Quick question related to applications-

When is a boy considered a member?

Is it after completing the application and paying the fee or after completing all the joining requirements in the handbook?

At what time should the temporary membership certificate be given to the boy?

I agree that these are all things parents should read and pay attention to. In fact, it might be worth giving everyone a new application and asking that they read over it just to get the point across to the current Scouts and parents.